USA SWIMMING OFFICIALS
Why become an official?
- Support an excellent sport for children and promote a healthy lifestyle for children.
- Gain a more thorough understanding of competitive swimming.
- Fulfill your volunteer obligations for Empire Swim Club.
- Get closer to the action; know what’s happening on deck with the “best seat” at the pool.
- Get mentally and physically engaged during the meet rather than merely “spectating.”
- Receive free admission and great hospitality during sessions officiated.
STEP 1: USA Swimming Registration
- Complete the current year USA Swimming Non-Athlete Registration Form.
- Cost is $60.00 – Empire Swim Club will reimburse you.
- First time officials will receive an email from USA Swimming when their registration is complete.
- You may additionally sign up for an account on the MVS website. This is simply for purposes of an “Officials Directory”. Billing and payments are not being used at this time.
STEP 2: USA Swimming Athlete Protection Policy
All Non-Athlete USA Swimming members, including Officials, must complete the following:
- USA Swimming Criminal Background Check (regardless of any previous criminal background check you may have completed). There is a $39 fee for first-time officials.
- Take the Athlete Protection Module course. It takes about 20 minutes.
- NOTE: Prior to getting taking your APT training you will need to set up an account on the USA Swimming Site. Simply click Sign-In in the upper right hand part of the page. You will also need to have completed your registration as a non-athlete member. Please use the exact same name for registration, background check and APT.
STEP 3: Start Your Training
Take your USA Swimming Test: Complete USA Swimming’s on-line, open book test, “Stroke and Turn Certification Test”. A stroke and Turn official will need to take both the Timer and S&T Judge test.
Attend a Training Clinic
- Attend a Stroke & Turn Training Clinic. These are conducted in various locations throughout the LSC. Check the Event page on the Missouri Valley website.
- You can filter the calendar by choosing ‘Officials’ in the event category.
The Stroke & Turn is required to work with a full status official for a minimum of six meet sessions (not including Time Trials). In order to provide the trainee with the opportunity to work with a number of experienced officials, these six or more meet sessions must be worked at a minimum of TWO DIFFERENT MEETS. These work sessions shall be recorded in the Official’s Tracking System database via the USA Swimming official’s website by the meet referee.
- USA Swimming Card – You will receive your USA non-athlete card once you have achieved after you have registered AND successfully completed the Criminal Background Check and USA Swimming online Athlete Protection Training module
- Official Card – Once you have completed the training Clinic, USA Swimming on-line test, and the apprentice sessions, you will be able to print your Certification card on the USA Swimming website.
For more information, visit USA Swimming's Officials web page here.
If you have any questions about this process please contact Tim Bruck, (913) 485-8390 or firstname.lastname@example.org.