Elected Athlete Representatives Information
Application Link Word
Application Link PDF (save file and open with Acrobat Reader)
Due February 18, 2018
• The Athlete Representatives shall serve a two-year term on the Midwestern Board of Directors as a liaison between the athletes who are members of Midwestern Swimming and the Board of Directors and House of Delegates.
• The Athlete Representatives shall serve as the liaison between the athletes who are members of MWS and the Board of Directors and House of Delegates. The Senior Athlete Representative shall Chair the Athletes’ Committee.
• The Athlete Representatives shall have general charge of the business, affairs and property of the Athletes’ Committee which shall be responsible for and undertake activities (a) delegated to it by the Board of Directors or the General Chairman or (b) undertaken by the committee as being in the best interests of the Athlete Members, Midwestern Swimming, USA Swimming and the sport of swimming.
• The Athlete Representatives must attend House of Delegates and Board of Directors meetings, and committee meetings as required by the Midwestern Swimming Bylaws and/or additional committee appointments made by the General Chair. The Athlete Representatives should make herself/himself available for any Midwestern-sponsored camps/workshops and the annual USA Swimming Convention.
Selection Process and Athlete Eligibility
Selection process for Athlete Representative to the MWS House of Delegates and Board of Directors is as follows:
1. Initial recommendations will be made by the athlete’s coach based on leadership, maturity, interest in being more involved in the sport, and the ability to interact with peers
2. Interested athletes will be provided a handout that explains what is required of athlete representatives emphasizing that this is their sport and athlete participation and input are of vital importance and will include the following: participation at MWS board meetings, communication with athletes, and attending National Convention
3. Interested athletes who wish to stand for election as Athlete Representative will submit a one‐page essay by February 1 to the MWS Selection Committee on why they would be interested in serving as an Athlete Representative, submit a digital photo, and a brief resume of their swimming career. Photo release must be signed. No contact information will be included.
4. The Selection Committee (two athletes, requiring one of whom is the Senior athlete rep and the other be the other 2nd year athlete BOD representative; Coach Representative, Age Group Chair, Senior Vice-Chair) will make recommendations for a slate of candidates which consist of at least 2, but no more than 3 candidates for each position that is open. Once the candidate selections are made, the athlete essay, photo, and resume will be sent to all clubs. Clubs are expected to use the information to inform their voting athletes of the slate of candidates.
5. At the time of the election, an Athlete Representative must be an annual athlete in good standing, at least 16 years of age or at least a sophomore in high school, currently competing or have competed during the three immediately preceding years in the program of swimming conducted by MWS or another LSC and have his or her place of residence in the LSC and expected to reside therein throughout at least of first half of the term (other than periods of enrollment in an institution of higher education)
6. Athlete Representatives will be elected by their registered MWS athlete peers, who are at least 13 years old as of the first day of the Midwestern Short Course Championship meet, with elections to be held at the Midwestern Short Course Championships. The Athlete Representative(s) receiving the most votes during the voting period will be presented to Midwestern Swimming during the final evening session of the MW Short Course Championships following the national anthem. Adopted by MWS Board of Directors 9/13/15
At the time of election, an Athlete Representative must be:
- An Annual Athlete member in good standing.
- Be at least sixteen (16) years of age or at least a sophomore in high school.
- Be currently competing, or have competed during the three (3) immediately preceding years, in the program of swimming conducted by MWS or another LSC.
- Have his or her place of permanent residence in the Territory and expect to reside therein throughout at least the first half of the term (other than periods of enrollment in an institution of higher education).
- Be selected for the slate of nominees after being recommended by the athlete’s coach or current Athlete Representatives, have submitted an essay (found on the MWS website Athletes page) stating desire to serve, and be recommended for the slate by the Selection Committee.
- Elected Athlete Representatives shall not be affiliated with the same Club Member or Association of Club Members.
The following will be used as the election process for the selection of the Athlete Representatives:
- The election shall take place at the Short Course Swimming Championships (or a meet designated by the Board of Directors).
- The balloting shall take place at a meeting called for that purpose by the Senior Athlete Representatives, or failing that, at a time and in a manner designated by the Board of Directors.
- Athlete Representatives will be elected by their registered MWS athlete peers, who are at least 13 years old as of the first day of the Midwestern Short Course Championship meet, with elections to be held at the Midwestern Short Course Championships.
- Term of office will begin September 1 of the year in which elected.
Applicants for the Athlete Representative will apply using the application located on the Elected Athletes Reps tab of the Midwestern Swimming web page. All applications need to be submitted by February 1, 2016. Upon completion of the application letter, save and email to:
Jay Thiltgen, Senior Vice-Chair email@example.com
Application Link WORD Application Link PDF (save file and open with Acrobat Reader)
When completing the application, Athletes should consider the answer to the following questions:
• Number of years involved in swimming:
• Scholastic Honors:
• Achievements you are most proud of during your competitive years:
• Things you are most proud:
• Extra Curricular Activities:
• What do you think the role of Athlete Representative should be?
• Why will you be a good representative of the Midwestern swimmers?