Merit Based Scholarships
Perdue Family Scholarship- Beginning in 2013-2014, the family of Dr. Phil Perdue now donates $700 to a deserving male and female athlete, to be used toward team dues the next season. ECA is grateful to Phil, Tammy, Meredith, Lauren, and Philip Perdue for their generosity and their longtime commitment to the betterment of our team.
- 2015-2016 winners- Meredith Bullard and Zech Chastain
- 2014-2015 winners- Abigail Burns and Andrew Landry
- 2013-2014 winners- Morgan Despres and Zach Darden
- Criteria: Senior Group Swimmer; from Greenville area; demonstrates strong work ethic in practice; maturity in assessing weaknesses and mistakes; respect for coaches and team mates; active meet participant; good citizenship in school and the community.
- $700 each one male and one female swimmer to be awarded at the conclusion of the SCY season for the following Fall
- Scholarship funds will be applied to the swimmer's team account once the swimmer is registered for the new season
- Recipient cannot receive award more than once
- Recipient to be chosen by coaches' decision
Financial Assistance is available for qualifying current and/or new swimmers, but is limited. Scholarships are awarded on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the the Board of Directors. The BOD annually budgets for this purpose. Once the funds are extinguished, financial assistance will not be available until the following year.
A. East Carolina Aquatics Inc., is a non-profit entity, whose stated purpose, includes but is not limited to organizing and conducting swim clubs and meets as applicable.
B. As a non-profit entity we realize the needs that exist within the community, and have developed this Financial Assistance Request package to provide opportunities for any individual to request and possibly receive financial assistance so that they may participate. The financial assistance is limited.
C. Once a Financial Assistance Request has been received, the East Carolina Aquatics Board of Directors, and/or Committee will decide on any award made. This decision may take between thirty (30) - sixty (60) days for action. This decision is final! No appeal may be made.
D. This request is good for only six (6) months. ALL applicants will be required to provide a letter by January 7 of each year. This letter must provide an update on the information provided herein so that a determination can be made as to whether assistance is still required. Within thirty (30) days of January 7, all letters will be addressed and you will be informed, in writing, whether the assistance awarded has been extended, reduced or eliminated.
E. Any funding received cannot be used to pay for meet fees or equipment purchases. There may be some used equipment that can be provided. Parent(s) will still be expected to meet all fundraising obligations.
E. Both swimmer(s) and parents (including legal guardians) are required to meet certain standards in order to continue receiving any award that is made, including:
- You will be expected to maintain passing grades in school.
- You will be expected to participate in a minimum of 85% of all practices scheduled by your team. (This will not include any missed practices due to verifiable illness or injury)
- Your behavior matters, both in school and in swimming. Failure to maintain appropriate behavior in school, during practice and/or meets may result in revocation of this award.
- You may be required to provide volunteer hours depending on age, ability and hours available. If required you will be notified at the time of the award
- You will be expected to ensure that your swimmer(s) attends a minimum of 85% of the practices scheduled by their team. (This will not include any missed practices due to verifiable illness or injury)
- You may be required to provide volunteer hours depending hours available. If required you will be notified at the time of the award.
- If at any time your financial conditions change, whether for the better or worse, you are required to provide written notification within seven (7) days to the East Carolina Aquatics Board of Directors.
Current Swimmer Scholarship Opportunities
East Carolina Aquatics has a limited number of swim dues scholarships available to current Gators swimmers and families who are experiencing temporary financial hardship. If you are interested, please contact the ECA vice president for more details.
Scholarship Eligibility and Requirements
- Swimmers applying for financial scholarship must have participated in the East Carolina Aquatics program for at least one year prior to scholarship application.
- Swimmers’ family must demonstrate a need based on unpredicted changes in financial circumstances.
- Swimmers that are granted scholarship must meet the attendance requirements of the practice group that participate with in order to remain eligible for scholarship.
- Scholarships are for one swim season or until family financial conditions change whichever comes first.
- All swimmers must reapply for scholarships at the start of each swim season.