GCY Coronavirus Updates and Resources
- New Daily Screening Questions must be answered daily prior to attending practice, they can be found at this link:
- There is no penalty for missing practice if an athlete, or any member of their family does not feel well, they should stay home.
- All staff, athletes, parents and participants should not swim if they or anyone with whom they reside: Are exhibiting any symptoms of the coronavirus: mild to severe respiratory illness with fever, cough and difficulty breathing, or other symptoms identified by the CDC. Have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- Maintain appropriate social distancing from other athletes when entering and exiting the facility and when on deck. Swimmers must wear masks to lane, and from lane, storing in a ziplock bag (or anything similar) while they are swimming. Mask must be worn from lane to bathroom and back if they need to use it during practice.
- If we have a positive case, all swimmers in the same lane with COVID infected individual will be quarantined 14 days, going from the date of positive case likely point of contact for COVID-19.
- Swimmers who have already had COVID-19 within 90 days do not have to quarantine as long as they can answer NO to our daily screening questions.
- Guilford County Health Department themselves operate under the 14-day recommendation and recommend that their partners do the same. We will reach out to you via phone call if you are affected by this policy in anyway.
- Please inform Brad Herndon and/or Cynthia Shannon as soon as possible if you test positive for COVID-19 so we can help prevent it's spread and contact everyone affected immediately.
- Continue to refer to USA Swimming's Guidelines found here:
Athletes are NOT permitted to attend practice if they answer YES to any of the following questions…
●Have you had close contact (within 6 feet for at least 10 minutes) in the last 14 days with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 or has any health department been in contact with you and advised you to quarantine?
●In the last 72 hours, have you 1) had a fever or felt feverish? 2) had any muscle aches, chills, or respiratory symptoms, including runny nose, sore throat, cough, or shortness of breath? 3) new loss of taste or smell?
●Is your temperature above 100 degrees?
Athletes who are sick or believe they might have COVID-19 should stay home until you can answer YES to the following questions…
●Has it been at least 10 day since you first had symptoms?
●Have you been without fever for 3 days (72 hours) without any medicine?
●Has it been 3 days (72 hours) since your symptoms have improved?
IMPORTANT: Household members and athletes who have been in close contact with someone who has had symptoms of COVID-19 should stay home for 14 days and monitor themselves for symptoms.
GCY and YMCA of Greensboro COVID Return to the Y Waivers/Membership:
*YMCA AND GCY MEMBERSHIPS must be ACTIVE
Proper Waiver REQUIRED:
NO MEMBERSHIP = NO SWIM
NO WAIVER = NO SWIM
- GCY is following all USA Swimming Return to the Pool Guidelines AND facility specific guidelines (see below)
- Swimmers come in pre-showered in suit (dry clothes over)
- Line up prior to each practice 6 feet apart for screening questions
- All swimmers will be temp checked prior to each practice
- Over 37.7 or 100 will not be allowed to practice
- Sanitize Hands
- All dry clothes in swim bag that they are responsible for disinfecting
- 3-point entry into pool
- Practice (time length varies from 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on group)
- Exit Pool
- Dry and gather clothes in dry back
- Leave through proper exit
- Emergency bathroom available, staff disinfects after each use.
- 15-30 minutes of staggering times between groups, arrive no earlier than 15 minutes prior to your practice.
- All coaches wear mask, have temperature check, screening questions (Employee Screening Checklist) and follow all other guidelines (see below)
- Swimmers masks are required.
- Avoid congregating after practices, keep social distancing!
CLICK HERE FOR PRACTICE SIGN-UP LINKS (MUST BE LOGGED INTO TEAM UNIFY TO VIEW)
GCY Parents/Swimmers MUST adhere to facility rules where we practice:
- Green Valley and Hamilton Lakes COVID Rules for Membership/GCY:
- Following NC’s Interim Policy for Operating Pools as of May 22:
- GCY Swimmers/Parents will:
- Not come to either of these facilties if they are experiencing Covid-19 symptoms
- Use provided sanitizing spray on their pool chairs when they arrive and again when leaving
- Practice social distancing
- Wash hands or use hand sanitizer regularly
- Wear masks on deck if they choose; masks are not allowed in the pool
- Honor their 2-hour reservation time, leaving at the end of their time slot to let others enjoy the pool.(members only, GCY reserve practice time through our sign-up links.
- GAC COVID Resources ALL of coaches, swimmers and parents should know:
Helpful GCY Specific COVID Links:
GCY Coaches' Requirements:
- Be able to answer "No" to the Athlete Screening Questions (above) both daily online AND verbally with other coach AND/OR guard you working with at the practices you coach.
- Temperature checked before each shift
- Answer Employee Screening Checklist Online CLICK HERE FOR LINK
- Wear Mask Daily, but you may remove with 12 feet of social distancing.
- Sanitize Hands before/after each practice
- Be familiar with all links in the helpful COVID links above.
- Follow all USA Swimming Return to Pool Guidelines as well as facility specific policies and procedures (see above)
- Resource: GCY COVID Daily Screening Log for Employees
- Resource: YMCA of the Triangle Training Video (click link)