While our program emphasizes fun and safety in the water, it differs from other lesson programs in that it is specifically tailored to prepare swimmers for competition in USA Swimming. This starts with basic familiarity and comfort in the water, and progresses all the way to introduction of more advanced techniques (such as butterfly and flip-turns).
Introduction to the basic skills necessary for swimming. For nervous or
fearful students. We work on head submersion, front/back body balance, and
developing a love for the water.
- Flutter kick stationary (wall)
- Balance via prone/dorsal position (wall)
- Up/down breathing mechanism (inhale/exhale); 15 cycles
- Jump entry
- Merger of prone body position and breathing mechanism,
- Back Kick stationary (wall)
Must be comfortable with head underwater and executing breathing
mechanism. We’ll build on this via rotary breathing, kick-based propulsion and
independence in the water.
- Rotary (inhale/exhale) v. up/down breathing, three cycle
- Dorsal/Back kick locomotive with barbell/noodle/solo
- Flutter kick with board, no breathing mechanism
- Merge flutter kick and breathing mechanism, locomotive
- Independent, non-anchored prone (stomach) floatation with
- Independent, non-anchored dorsal (back) floatation
Level 2 swimmers must be able to take three consecutive breaths unassisted and
independent balance/floatation, both prone (stomach) and dorsal (back). We
focus on building strength, confidence and self-sufficiency in the water.
- Back arms: 20, 15, 10, 5 kicks/1 stroke
- Freestyle Catchup stationary (wall); transition to Freestyle
Catchup locomotive with barbell, noodle, instructor’s arm,
- Flutter kick w/board, incrementally longer distances
- Back Kick streamlined, incrementally longer distances
Must be comfortable on their backs and able to work the width of the
pool. We focus on big-arm freestyle with side breathing, and backstroke.
- Freestyle drills/parts to whole (catchup, 5-20, breathe bad
- Flip-turn introduction: somersaults
- Backstroke drills/parts to whole (10 kicks/1 stroke, two
hands, no feet, kick on side, etc.)
- Back turn introduction (six strokes, rollover, somersault)
- Free/Back kick incrementally longer distances
Must have solid freestyle and backstroke skills. We focus on all four
strokes, endurance and speed for short distances.
- Fly/breast (short axis) strokes
- Further honing of freestyle and backstroke balance, skills,
and related endurance
- Added endurance via longer class duration.