The Parents' Association (MYPO) is an organization comprised of all swimmers' parents, formed to help the coaches and swimmers in their endeavors. The Association also tries to improve conditions for the team and is a resource for many of the team's outside activities: fundraising, social, meet coordination, etc. Parent meeting dates and times will be posted on the website.
Parents often become closely associated and involved with the team and can assist the team in many ways. A parent should:
- Encourage swimmers to attend appropriate practices and meets, and provide transportation to the workouts and meets as necessary.
- Encourage their child to work diligently, and assist their younger child to set realistic goals; offer support to the child throughout the season.
- Let the coaches do the coaching.
- Take an active part in fundraising projects and if possible, become a certified swim meet official.
- Assist at dual meets and any other team-hosted competitions: timing, concessions, and help in the setup and breakdown for home meets.
Whenever the team hosts a meet at the Montclair Y, timers, judges, recorders, and general help come from the Parent’s Association. There may be a need for preparation and selling of food, marshalling, basic clerical work, etc. All of this is required work and it is anticipated that each parent gives of his/her time and talent to facilitate the job for everyone!
All parents who have swimmers on the team are members of the Parents’ Association. At least one parent is expected to participate on a working committee and help at team-hosted meets as well as serve as timers at invitational and championship meets.
Committee assignments will be solicited by the Executive Board of the Parents Association each season. The President and board positions of the Parents Executive Board changes annually and will be posted on the website whenever changes occur. Please speak to one of the Board Members if you are interested in serving on the Executive Board.