Scarlet-NJW – Meet Entry Process
For a printable version of this document (click here):
This document provides an overview on how we enter swim meets. Please read this material carefully:
1) Print out and become familiar with the meet schedule by group document. This schedule is a tentative schedule of the meets we plan to attend broken down by groups. It may be subject to change as some meets fill fast and we are sometimes denied entrance into a meet. Also, new meets are added during the season that the coaches may determine to fit our needs. It is best to keep in regular contact with your groups meet secretary
and your respective coach
to keep abreast of any potential changes to the meet schedule. Group secretaries communicate meet entries, meet information, timing assignments, etc. currently thru e-mail communication.
2) We generally enter 1-2 meets per month. We do not like to attend too many meets as we feel we need time to “put the bun back in the oven”; i.e. we need time between meets to practice and get better. Too many meets at the loss of too much practice time could limit the development of a swimmer.
3) Coaches do the entries for the swimmers. They will not enter your child in all the same events each meet. Generally swimmers are entered in their better events for bigger meets and then other events for smaller meets. We purposely swim the kids in a variety of strokes and distances to develop them as an IM Based athlete (i.e. development in all 4 competitive strokes). Any questions regarding your child’s meet entries must be directed to their respective coach (not the group meet secretary or the meet entry coordinator). The group meet secretary and meet entry coordinator for the team have nothing to do with the events selected for a child and will not be able to change events.
4) For most of the meets we enter in New Jersey or the surrounding area (NY, etc), the swimmers are charged a fee for each event they swim. The fee is generally $3-5 per event in the Fall/Winter (Short Course season) and $4-6 per event in the Spring/Summer (Long Course season). The fee goes to the team that is hosting the meet. In order to avoid continually asking parents for small checks to cover these costs, we set up an escrow account for each swimmer.
5) Please contact your groups meet secretary
to set up an escrow account. They will ask you for a check between $50 and $150 depending on the group your child is in. The account is your money but we will deduct meet fees from the account during the year until the account is depleted or near depletion. At that time you’ll be asked for another check to put toward escrow. If at any time you leave the team, you’re entitled to your balance in your escrow account. Just simply request that a check be sent to you by the groups meets secretary. We are looking into a different system in the near future.
6) If the meet your child goes to has relays, the coaching staff decides who is to be placed on relays. If your child is placed on a relay, the fee for ¼ of the relay will be charged to your escrow account once the meet is over. You are only charged if your child swims in the relay. The team also charges a $1 surcharge per swimmer per meet to cover the cost of relays that have to be cancelled. This surcharge also helps cover administrative costs (mailing meet entries, ink, paper, etc.).
7) Entries for many meets often fill very fast; sometimes in a matter of days or hours. We do not always get into every meet we want to attend. If that is the case, we may substitute another meet in it’s place. This also means that the coaches often do the entries months in advance.
8) It is the parent’s responsibility to let the coaches and your group’s meet secretaries
know as early as possible if they know they cannot attend a meet. If we do not hear from you, the swimmers are automatically entered in the meet (which might be done months in advance). If you’re child is entered, we cannot get the money back from the host team, so you will be charged.
We are working on a mechanism thru our website, where we can improve on this process of communication. We hope to have the new system in place by the spring of 2010.
9) Soon,entries for meets will be done online through the www.newjerseywave.org website. You will be able to click on upcoming events on the home page. From there you will see all of the upcoming meets as well as meets that have been attended in the past. We will also have a method of communication by which you’ll be able to let us know if you’ll have any conflicts for a meet weekend. More details will follow in upcoming months.
10) Good sites to bookmark regarding upcoming meet information: