CLASS DESCRIPTIONS - GROUP LESSONS
Please carefully read the class descriptions below to determine the current level of the student. If the student is between two levels, go with the lower level. If we must move the student down a level once the session has begun, it may be a different day and/or time, and the $25 Change Fee applies.
Note that private lessons are only offered during the summer sessions on weekdays only.
Parent/Tot 1 (6 - 24 months) - 30 minutes, 10 pairs/class
This class provides the opportunity for your child, ages 6 to 24 months, to still be in the hands of a trusted parent while working on independent movements in the water. They will also work on blowing bubbles, scooping and kicking. Safety skills, games, songs and other activities will be taught as well. An adult must accompany the child in the pool and all children are required to wear swim diapers unless they are completely toilet trained. No swimming skills required for parents!
Parent/Tot 2 (24 - 48 months) - 30 minutes, 10 pairs/class
This class provides the opportunity for your child, ages 24 to 48 months, to still be in the hands of a trusted parent while working on independent movements in the water. They will also work on blowing bubbles, scooping and kicking. Safety skills, games, songs and other activities will be taught as well. An adult must accompany the child in the pool and all children are required to wear swim diapers unless they are completely toilet trained. Flotation belts will be used to promote further independence. No swimming skills required for parents!
- Safely entering/exiting the pool
- Putting face in the water and blowing bubbles
- Jumping in and climbing out of the water with or without parent/guardian assistance.
- Kicks on front with parent/guardian assistance
- Kicks on back with parent/guardian assistance
- Parent/Guardian supported back float with ears in the water
- Introduction to scooping with arms
- Water safety skills will be taught
SCHOOL AGE LESSONS
See the Instructional Videos Library for stroke mechanics.
All students with long hair MUST wear a cap. PEDDIE SWIM SCHOOL caps are available for purchase in the Aquatics Office for $5 each.
Level 1 (4 -12 year olds) - 30 minutes, 4 students/class (No goggles allowe d)
This class is designed for children ages 4 & older who are either completely new to swimming, or who cannot demonstrate all the skills listed below. Swimmers will learn correct body position and how to breathe efficiently. Children must be able to pay attention for 30 minutes at a time. Water safety skills will be taught.
Successful completion of Level 1 requires:
- Safely entering & exiting the pool
- Bobbing under water
- Front float rolling to back float without instructor support (10 sec.)
- 10 feet of freestyle and 10 feet of backstroke using flutter kicks and arms reaching out of the water
- Water Safety Skills will be taught and emphasized.
Level 2 (4-14 year olds) - 30 minutes, 5 students/class, Pre-requisite: Level 1 skills (Goggles recommended)
By Level 2, the emphasis is on continued development of confidence and feel of the water. Students will remain in this level until they are swimming both freestyle and backstroke independently with good form and rotary for 25 yards.
Successful completion of Level 2 requires:
- Front & back streamline push-offs from the wall
- Treading water for 15 seconds
- Consistent Independent freestyle for 25 yards using a front streamline push-off, reaching arms, rotary breathing and straight leg flutter kick
- Consistent Independent backstroke for 25 yards using a back streamline push-off, keeping head back with straight leg flutter kicking.
- Level appropriate water safety skills
Level 3 (5-14 year olds) - 45 minutes, 8 students/class, Pre-requisite: Level 2 skills (Goggles required. No swim shirts.)
In Level 3, children will continue to build on their endurance in freestyle and backstroke. They also will be introduced to the mechanics of breaststroke and diving skills.
Successful completion of Level 3 requires:
- 25 yards freestyle with proper body position, strong kick and proper side breathing
- 25 yards backstroke with proper body position and strong kick
- Treading water for 30 seconds
- 25 yards of Elementary Backstroke
- Breaststroke with correct kick, arm pull and timing
- Kneeling dive into the pool
- Water safety skills
Level 4 (6-16 year olds) - 1 hour, 10 students/class, Pre-requisite: Level 3 skills (Goggles required. No swim shirts.)
Level 4 builds on the freestyle and backstroke skills learned in Level 3. Swimmers will increase their endurance, refine breaststroke technique and be taught butterfly.
Successful completion of Level 4 requires:
- 50 yards freestyle with proper body position, breathing, and kick
- 50 yards backstroke with proper body position and kick
- 25 yards breaststroke with proper whip kick, arm pull and timing
- 25 yards butterfly with proper body position, arm pull, kick and timing
- 25 yards elementary backstroke
- 15 yards underwater swimming
- 100 yards Individual Medley (25 fly, 25 back, 25 breast, 25 free)
- Flip Turns for freestyle and backstroke
- 60 seconds of treading water
- Standing Dives
- Water safety skills
Advanced Technique (Ages 6-16) - 1 hour, 12 students/class, Pre-requisite: Consistent demonstration of Level 4 skills (Goggles required. No swim shirts.)
This NEW class is for former Level 5 & 6 students. Advanced Technique (AT) continues to build on stroke technique, endurance, diving, plus the successful coordination of the breaststroke, butterfly, and mastery of flip-turns. Many swimmers will repeat this level to learn proper technique.
Successful completion of Advanced Technique requires:
- 100 yards freestyle (proper catch position, pull pattern, rotation & flip-turns)
- 100 yards backstroke (proper start, pull pattern and rotation, & flip-turns)
- 50 yards breaststroke (proper turns and underwater pull-outs, & turns)
- 50 yards butterfly (proper timing, breath patterns, & turns)
- 200 yards Individual Medley (50 fly, 50 back, 50 breast, 50 free)
- 3 minutes treading water (1 minute w/ hand above the water)
Blue Sharks (9-16 years old), 1 hour/week, Pre-requisite: Completion of all Advanced Technique skills or an evaluation (Goggles & caps for long hair are required. No swim shirts.)
This level offers 1 hour training sessions that may serve as preparation for swim team try-outs or a warm-up for summer swim team participation.
To move on to our Blue Sharks group, swimmers must be between 9-16 years of age and must attend an evaluation by the Lesson Supervisor, or have attended and completed all the skills in Advanced Technique. All four competitive strokes must be mastered to be considered.
Adult Level 1 - 18 & older, 30 minutes, 5 adults/class
For adults new to the water, or with fear issues with water, and/or can't float or swim. Swimmers will learn a correct body position, breathing for efficient swimming and focus on comfort level and skills to increase water safety.
Successful completion of Adult Level 1 requires:
- Put face in water and blow bubbles
- Fully submerge head
- Straight leg flutter kick on back
- Independent front float (hold for 10 sec)
- Independent back float (hold for 10 sec) Foundations of treading water
- Kicking 25 yds with kick board or barbell with face in water
Adult Level 2 - 18 & older, 30 minutes, 5 adults/class
For adults who can float on back independently & float independently on stomach with face in the water. Can flutter kick with barbell or kickboard as well as enter deep end of pool.
Swimmers will be introduced to the freestyle, the fundamental stroke in swimming. They will also be introduced to backstroke.
Successful completion of Adult Level 2 requires:
- 25 yds. freestyle with proper body position, kicking and side breathing
- 25 yds. backstroke with proper body position and kicking
- 1 minute treading water
Questions: Contact Corina Simms: firstname.lastname@example.org