The mission of the Novaquatics Swim Team is creating a SAFE, FUN and CHALLENGING environment where excellence is inevitable.
The Novaquatics swim team (Nova) is committed to providing an enjoyable and complete swimming experience for swimmers of all ages and abilities. It is the tradition of Nova to provide a challenging and positive teaching and training environment in which swimmers can develop a sense of self-esteem and pride through individual and team achievement. Nova is additionally committed to excellence in performance and we continue to strive to be the competitive leader in regional, national, and international competitions. As with all organizations our team can be successful only if everyone is an active member and participates in all activities. We expect families to volunteer their time, energy and talents on behalf of the team.
NOVA is a team that cares for the welfare of all its members. Our objectives may be summarized as follows:
- As a USA Swimming (USA-S) team and in full support an in accordance with the objectives of USA Swimming, Nova promotes the ideals of integrity and fairness, positive environment, leadership, excellence, innovation and creativity.
- Nova provides professional instruction in skills associated with competitive swimming.
- Nova provides an appropriate environment to encourage the full development and participation of all swimmers with the focus on realizing maximum individual potential at a pace appropriate for each individual
- Through participation with the Nova program, swimmers will be taught personal responsibility and accountability, sportsmanship and citizenship through positive reinforcement and recognition of the individual's pursuit towards accomplishing defined goals.
- Provide a well-educated and professional coaching/teaching staff whose interest is in the development of the team and the individual swimmer.
- Promote family and community support and involvement in competitive swimming.
- Provide opportunities for swimmers at all levels to participate in competitions and other club oriented activities.
- Through training excellence, focus and directions provided by its coaching professionals, Nova is committed to excellence in competition, both individually and as a team, at the highest level: regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Creating a positive environment where excellence is inevitable.
The Nova coaching staff and club administrators feel very strongly about the philosophy and objectives of the program. We expect each parent and swimmer to understand and adhere to these principles and objectives and encourage every member to strive toward building the strongest team possible, through individual and team work.
Nova is a non-profit organization. We derive our funds from membership dues, fundraising events and sponsorship. We spend these funds primarily on coaching costs, equipment, incentives, and social functions for the swimmers. We sponsor social events to provide a social atmosphere outside the pool environment. A member of our Board of Directors will gladly answer any questions concerning our finances. We elect a Board of Directors primarily to administer the Club in the fall of each year. The Board of Directors then elects a President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer and other officers to operate Nova. The Head Coach also serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the organization and is assisted by a part-time General Manager. You may refer to the Nova website for a current list of our Board of Directors and Coaching Staff. Board meetings are held at least once a month and are open to all parents. The time and location of the meeting is determined by the President. The Board may also call additional periodic meetings. Our dues structure can only be sustained by a consistently strong involvement from all team members. Each family is encouraged to contribute something in the way of operating the team.
Nova is a member of the Orange Committee within Southern California Swimming (SCS), which in turn is a subdivision of USA Swimming. USA Swimming is the National Governing Body (NGB) for amateur competitive swimming in the USA. USA Swimming is responsible for the selection of USA National Teams, which compete at the Olympic and World Championships as well as other international competition. Southern California Swimming (SCS) is divided into four committees: Coastal, Eastern, Orange and Olympic. Nova is assigned to the Orange Committee. Competitions are held within the Orange Committee at all levels, beginner to advanced. Nova competes in meets at all levels of the USA Swimming program, both regionally and nationally. Part of the commitment of Nova is to develop national and internationals level swimmers. Nova has a strong tradition of competing at the USA National Championships, assembling teams that compete for the team championship on a consistent basis.