YMCA Spring Nationals 2019
Greensboro, NC April 1-5
Order of Events
Team Hotel: Sheraton Four Seasons Greensboro (Approximate cost $150 per night)
This is the biggest stage for YMCA swimming, and most teams train all season just for this meet. I fully expect our participants to embrace this honor and both respect and enjoy the experience.
Here are some notes to consider:
- I expect all of our athletes participating at Y Nats to attend EVERY practice following high school season (beginning 2/25). Anyone who may have conflicts with this should speak with me to work out alternate times. Failure to attend practices without advance notice may result in dismissal from National team.
- I expect everyone to participate whole-heartedly at AA Champs in Oxford. Swimmers who have an INDIVIDUAL National cut will not need to participate at Zones. We will hold mandatory practice the Saturday morning of Zones (3/16) for the Nationals swimmers staying home.
- I recommend parents start to look at April schedules now and see if any travel conflicts exist. Swimmers may have to miss up to a week of school depending on when they compete, so you may want to begin speaking with teachers or school administrators as well.
- When possible, I prefer our athletes to arrive two evenings prior to their first swim (example: swimmer first competes Wednesday morning, preferably arrive Monday evening). This is to allow for adequate time to adjust after travel and "acclimate" to the meet. The main exception to this is anyone swimming the 200 medley relay, which has prelims that swim Monday night. You may arrive Sunday, but please plan to arrive early in the afternoon (early enough to get a swim at the pool Sunday afternoon).
- Parents are responsible for transportation to and from Greensboro. I can assist with transporting swimmers once they arrive in Greensboro, but parents are welcome to handle all transportation for their swimmer.
- Parents are financially responsible for all aspects of the meet. This includes (and is not necessarily limited to) meet entry fees, hotels, meals, apparel, and transportation.
- Any National qualifiers are welcome to stay the entire duration of the meet. I encourage anyone who is not participating in an event on a particular day to pick a time trial event to swim. Time trials no longer have time standards.
Relay decisions will likely be made by Monday, March 11 (after AA Champs). In most cases I will give priority to swimmers who have already achieved an individual National cut time.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Championship Season!!!
- coach matt