The YMCA of the USA Swimming & Diving's Outstanding Athlete Award recognizes one male and one female for their excellence in academic achievement and commitment to healthy living and social responsibility through YMCA competitive swimming at SCY National Championship
Applicants Should Meet the Following Criteria
A graduating senior and be a YMCA swimmer for five years.
Competed in the YMCA Short Course National Championships for three years.
Maintain a grade point average of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 or equivalent scale during senior year in high school.
Have plans to continue education at an accredited university or college.
Compete at the YMCA Short Course National Championship in his/her senior year and be present to accept the award.
SPY's Swimmers awarded Outstanding Athlete Award
- Katie McHugh
- Marcus Geer
Great Lakes Y Zone Championship's
Outstanding Swimmer“Atkinson Scholarship Award”
This Award was established in 1991 by the Great Lakes Zone Swimming Committee to honor Paul Atkinson for his dedicated leadership in establishing this YMCA competitive aquatic program. During his career with the Young Men’s Christian Association of 35 years he devoted over 30 of those years developing and promoting our Great Lakes Zone Championship, as we know it today. The intent of this award is to recognize a talented male and female from our Zone who has represented their YMCA with distinction. These individuals have been outstanding competitive swimmers and contributors to their YMCA, as well as being good students, active in the church and community, and all-around good citizens. These awards are presented each year at the Zone Championship Meet based on the nominations submitted by a YMCA Swim Coach, YMCA Aquatic Director, President of a YMCA Parents’ Club or a YMCA Executive Director.
SPY's Swimmers awarded Zones' Outstanding Swimmer Award
- Jeff Bell
- Marcus Geer
- Courtney Speakman
Southwest Ohio Y Swim League's Hall of Fame's Recipient
- Dave Johnson as Head Coach 1996
- John Bishop as Athlete/Coach 2003
- Molly Keriazes as Official 2014
- Mickey McNeil as Coach 2016
- Margo Geer as Athlete 2017
Southwest Ohio Y Swim League's Coach of the Year
- Dave Johnson 2006
- John Bishop 2000, 2016
- Bruce Patmos 2007
- Mickey McNeil 2002, 2010, 2011
YMCA's National Swimming Emerging Leaders Academy Participants
- High school junior
- Grade Point Average 3.0 or higher
- Has participated in YMCA National Swimming Championships
- Demonstrates positive leadership skills among peers
- Exemplifies the YMCA’s core values of Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility.
- Willing to express opinions and share ideas
- Able to complete challenging two-hour practice sessions of 5,000-7,000 yards without sitting out. Average freestyle intervals 1:15/100 yds and faster.
- Detailed Application Form
- Leadership Essay which describes Emma's personal philosophy of leadership – what is it, why is it important, how do she exercise leadership?
- Coach's Letter of Recommendation
- Peer Letter of Recommendation
- School or Civic Person's Letter of Recommendation
- High School English/Civic Teacher and Student Council Advisor
- Submit School/Academic Transcript
2015: Emma Sampson
2018: Rylie Turner
2019: Reese Turner
USA Swimming's National Age Group Record
- Jarrett Payne 11-12 Boys Age Group 50yd Fly 23.49
- 2019 Great Lakes YMCA Zone Championship
- at The Ohio State University Pool
SPY Coach Mickey McNeil Named to Top Ten Finalists
for Fitter & Faster Swim Tour's 2019 Age Group Coach of The Year
YMCA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
Jeff Bell 100yd Fly 50.01 April 1998 at Ft Lauderdale (outdoor pool)
Margo Geer 50yd Free 22.67 April 2010 at Ft. Lauderdale (outdoor pool)
Margo Geer 100yd Free 48.89 April 2010 at Ft. Lauderdale (outdoor pool)
Margo Geer 200yd Free 1:46.20 April 2010 at Ft. Lauderdale (outdoor pool)
Margo Geer 100yd Back 54.04 April 2010 at Ft. Lauderdale (outdoor pool)