Becoming a Stroke and Turn Official
A great way to have fun at swim meets and work off your fundraising responsibilities is to serve as a Stroke and Turn Official at swim meets that HSC attends. HSC will pay for all training and certifications costs. Here are the steps required.
- Attend a training clinic
- Stroke & Turn Clinic – A Four hour clinic that includes discussions/videos covering judging strokes, turns and relay takeoffs.
- Contact our Zone Official Chair for the location, date, time of next training. Or to host a training for our club.
- Get on the deck training
- Report to the Official’s briefing 30 minutes prior to meet start.
- Stroke &n Turn trainees “shadow” experienced officials on deck.
- Minimum of four sessions of two different meets.
- Register as an official
- Through USA Swimming register as a Nonathletic Member
- The Club Treasurer is the person to contact for this paperwork
- Take USA Swimming Officials Test & other requirements
- Take online USA Swimming Stroke & Turn Judges test
- Initiate a back ground check (there is a fee, check the USA Swimming Website)
- Other Expectations/Requirements
- Age- minimum of 18 years old
- Attire- solid navy blue shorts/pants/skirt, white polo shirt, white shoes
- Attitude- positive, willingness to volunteer and dedication
Additional information is available here.