SAFE SPORT INFORMATION
Safe Sport Club Coordinatior: Jorie Turner 775-331-0123 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Best Practice Guidelines
The following Best Practice Guidelines are strongly recommended for all USA Swimming members.
1. Parents should be encouraged to appropriately support their children’s swimming experience.
2. All swimming practices should be open to observation by parents.
3. Coaches should not initiate contact with or accept supervisory responsibility for athletes outside club programs and activities.
4. When only one athlete and one coach travel to a competition, at the competition the coach and athlete should attempt to establish a “buddy” club to associate with during the competition and when away from the venue.
5. Relationships of a peer-to-peer nature with any athletes should be avoided. For example, coaches should avoid sharing their own personal problems with athletes.
6. Coaches and other non-athlete adult members should avoid horseplay and roughhousingwith athletes.
7. When a coach touches an athlete as part of instruction, the coach should do so in direct view of others and inform the athlete of what he/she is doing prior to the initial contact. Touching athletes should be minimized outside the boundaries of what is considered normal instruction.
Appropriate interaction would include high fives, fist bumps, side-to-side hugs and handshakes.
8. Coaches should avoid having athletes as their favorites. They should also avoid creating a situation that could be perceived as them having favorites.
9. Gift-giving, providing special favors or showing favoritism to individual athletes is strongly discouraged.
NNA MINOR ATHLETE ABUSE PREVENTION POLICY
USA SWIMMING in partnership with the Center for SafeSport has drafted the Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policy (MAAPP) used currently by Northern Nevada Aquatics. Every Olympic Sport governed by a National Governing Body is required by the Center for SafeSport, as directed by the US Congress, to adopt and train athletes (swimmers), non-athlete members (coaches and officials) and other Applicable Adults (marshals, timers, Board Members, parents and occasional volunteers) on the content and importance of these policies. As such, these groups must acknowledge and abide by these policies ASAP.
Please review the MAAPP (link posted below) used by Northern Nevada Aquatics and acknowledge your agreement by printing, signing and returning the Acknowledgement to your child's coach or simply take a picture and email the signed acknowledgement to NorthernNevadaAquatics@yahoo.com upon joining the team. If you or your athlete is already a member, please fill one out as soon as possible.
We greatly appreciate your response to this request.
Am I an "Applicable Adult"?
Locker Room Access
Social Media and Electronic Communication
Massages & Rubdowns
Training for "Adult Athletes"
OTHER MAAPP LINKS AND PERMISSION SLIPS
USA Swimming Letter to Membership
LOCAL TRAVEL with ONE Athlete PERMISSION
DISTANT TRAVEL with ONE Athlete PERMISSION
Shared Lodging with an ADULT ATHLETE Permission