PNS/USA OBSERVED MEETS – REQUEST FOR OBSERVATION
USA Swimming has set up policies and guidelines for entering times data into the SWIMS system. Times achieved in meets that are not sanctioned or approved by USA Swimming may qualify for entry into SWIMS if the meet is authorized as an “Observed Meet”. The process for that authorization is outlined below.
Approval for meets will be considered on a case by case basis. The “Observed Meet Request” application form can be found on the PNS website under Officials Home / Observed Meet Info. The application must be filled out by the meet referee. When the form is complete, please send it to Mike Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mike will process the application and forward to the PNS Officials Chair for review, and the chair will send it to Suzanne Heath, USA Swimming Times and Recognition committee Chair, for final approval. Upon approval, Observed Meet status/number will be sent to the applicant. That number will also be posted on the PNS web site under “Meets Accepted for Observed Status”.
Note that the only observed meets for which PNS/USA swimming records will be recognized are the Boys and Girls State Championship High School meets.
The following are a summary of requirements for “Observed” status:
· Meet referee to complete “Request for Observation” application and submit to Mike Murphy at least fourteen (14) days prior to the meet.
· The meet is conducted under technical rules other than USA Swimming (e.g., high school, NCAA, Masters).
· The meet must be a championship, season-culminating, or meet of a similar nature.
· The meet must be swum in a PNS/USA approved pool with electronic timing pads.
· There will be no less than five USA Swimming certified officials, including at least the following positions filled: Referee, Starter, and at least one Stroke and Turn judge assigned to each end of the pool. Additional non-USA officials may work the deck as stroke and turn judges. Admin Officials are not required for Observed Meet status.
· The meet referee will provide swimmers and coaches with information about the observation program and the procedures used to request observation. Requests may be submitted prior to the swim for which observation is desired, or all swims may be observed.
· Any non-conforming USA Swims (including suit and tape violations) will be documented and forwarded to PNS.
At the conclusion of the meet the following items must be emailed to Colleen Buchanan at the PNS office, at email@example.com:
1. MM backup file
2. List of non-conforming USA swims (include swimmer’s Name, Event, Heat, and Lane)
Observed Meet Request PDF
Prior meets accepted for Observed Status