Athlete Protection Training for non-athlete members.
the apt requirement has changed! More details can be found below.
Beginning February 4, 2019, the Athlete Protection Training is provided through the U.S. Center for SafeSport. The required courses are found on the USA Swimming LEARN site and will be renewed annually.
All non-athlete members of USA Swimming are required to complete the Athlete Protection Training by clicking the link below. New members will be required to have their non-athlete application form and payment processed by their LSC registrar before they can sign in to complete the course.
This certification is required for all new and existing members including coaches, officials, chaperones, meet directors. If you have registered with USA Swimming for the first time, this is the course you need to take.
The course is free of charge and, upon completion, should update in your membership record within 24 hours. Initiate the course by entering your information in the boxes below.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETION
To complete the Athlete Protection Training Certification, please follow the directions below:
- Enter your first name, last name, and birthday. Make sure to use your legal name. Click the Search button.
- When the system finds you, click on "CONTINUE" to access the LEARN site.
- You must take three courses to complete the requirement:
- "Sexual Misconduct Awareness Education"
- "Mandatory Reporting"
- "Emotional and Physical Misconduct"
- Once you have completed your courses, your membership record will update within 24 hours with a new APT expiration date.
- Your APT will expire 12 months after you complete all three courses.
We have been receiving a lot of emails regarding APTs not showing/matching to non-athlete member records in SWIMS.
One of the main reasons is that the non-athlete member doesn’t complete the evaluation, so it doesn’t show as completed. You can help them by instructing them to do the following:
If one course shows 100% but not done with the check mark, it is not completed. To complete this course: You will need to click on the course, then select “2” from the navigation and complete the course evaluation. Once you have fulfilled the requirement there will be a check mark on the course and you will receive an email congratulating you for completing the requirement.
Members must always enter LEARN via www.usaswimming.org/learn or www.usaswimming.org/apt. If you create a non-member account, you will not receive credit for the courses that you take.
If you get a "No Results Found" message, one of three things has happened:
- You may have made a typo on your name and birthday. Double check and resubmit.
- If everything is correct and you are or have ever been a member of USA Swimming, it is possible that there is a typo in your membership information in the USA Swimming database. Contact your LSC registrar.
- You have never been registered with USA Swimming. You must join through your LSC. New members will be required to have your non-athlete application form and payment processed by your LSC registrar before you can sign in to complete the course.