Participating on a swim team is a sport – and yes, there is competition involved. MESA has champion, record-setting swimmers. We also have swimmers at every age level who have never been on a swim team before, and we have a wide variety of skills and abilities. Every swimmer will have new things to learn and new goals to achieve. Sportsmanship & Respect are core to who we are, and here’s our code:
- Don't impose your ambitions on your swimmer
- Be supportive and encouraging -- no matter what
- Say only positive things at swim meets
- Don't coach your child, let the COACH do that
- Have respect for your child's coach and their experience
- Don't talk about the "big meet" or results or place
- Respect officials, timers, stroke judges, and all volunteers
- Have set goals before each meet… besides winning
- Congratulate your child for simply swimming!
- Don't take this too seriously (It’s summer and it’s FUN!).