Dana Hills Swim Team (DHST): Code of Conduct
What it Means to be a Dana Hills Otter (Family)
As a swimmer or parent/guardian member of the Dana Hills Swim Team, we must follow our Code of Conduct. This policy stresses many important messages about the proper role of parents in supporting their child in sports. Our policy emphasizes the overall importance for all parents/swimmers to support and respect the Coaches on our staff. This policy also provides rules, a framework, and procedures for a course of discipline.
The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles: Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Fairness, Caring, and Good Citizenship. The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these “six pillars of character.”
I therefore agree:
1. I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the sport is for the youth.
2. I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
3. I (and my guests/family members) will be a positive role model and encourage sportsmanship, respect, and courtesy to all swimmers, coaches, officials, and spectators at every team event.
4. I (and my guests/family members) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, swimmer, or parent such as booing, taunting, and refusing to shake hands, or using any form of profanity.
5. I will refrain from the use of, or being under the influence of, alcohol, drugs, or any other controlled substance at any team event.
6. I will ensure that my children are abiding by all pool rules at all team events. For example, not running on the pool deck, being unattended in the parking lot, climbing on any structures, or causing damage to the property of DHST or the Dana Hills Homeowners Association.
7. I will demand that my child will treat swimmers, coaches, officials, and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex, or ability.
8. I will never ridicule, yell, or berate my child or any other participant.
9. I will refrain from coaching my child or other swimmers during practices and meets, unless I am one of the officials or coaches of the team.
10. I will bring any questions, comments, and/or concerns as it relates to my children to the Coach’s Liaison. The Coach’s Liaison will communicate with the coaching staff to resolve the issue and/or set up a meeting as needed.
11. I will respect the Coaches’ decisions, authority, and focus of coaching, during practices and meets, and will take the time to speak with the coaches at an agreed upon scheduled time.
12. I will respect the Officials’ decisions and authority, during all team events, and will direct any concerns or questions to a member of our coaching staff only.
1. The decision to remove a swimmer for the balance of an individual practice, event or swim meet for disciplinary reasons is at the sole discretion of the Head Coach. If the Head Coach is not in attendance, the decision rests with the coach placed in charge of the practice or swim meet.
2. Any swimmer or parent/guardian that conducts themselves in such a way that brings discredit or discord to the Dana Hills Swim Team, defined by the Code of Conduct Policy, or decided upon by the Board of Directors, are subject to disciplinary action.
Enforcement of Policy:
1. Should the Head Coach, or coach placed in charge, remove a swimmer for the balance of an individual practice or swim meet for disciplinary reasons, this Coach shall notify the swimmer’s parent or legal guardian to report the infraction. The Head Coach will also make a report to the Board of Directors.
2. Any swimmer suspended for the balance of an individual practice or swim meet shall not be released from the pool area until the completion of that event, unless accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or other authorized adult.
3. The severity and frequency of the swimmer’s misconduct will determine the appropriate level of suspension or expulsion from the team. The Disciplinary Action will be based on the report(s) of the coaching staff and are at the sole discretion of the DHST Board of Directors.
Click here to download and print a copy of the code of conduct.