Camp Practice & Young Swimmer Practice Group Descriptions
NOTE FOR EACH SEASON, PRACTICE TIMES ARE EVALUATED AND MAY CHANGE SLIGHTLY BASED ON REGISTRATION NUMBERS AND CSL SCHEDULE CHANGES
- This practice is primarily designed to accommodate older swimmers who participate in camps and younger swimmers who have daycare needs. (Mini and Juniors may not register for camp practice.)
- This is not intended to be a stroke improvement practice but is focused on endurance and conditioning. However, swimmers who are under age 8 may join this practice group ONLY if approved by the coach at the swimmer evaluation.
- The Head Coach has discretion with Camp Practice and may ask a younger swimmer to move to a later (more appropriate) practice group.
- Swimmers who need to attend camp practice for the entire summer must choose this practice group during registration as their primary summer-long practice group.
- We recognize that other summer activities may occasionally conflict with swim practice. Swimmers who want to join camp practice for a short period of time may do so by coordinating with the Head Coach.
8 & Under Practice
- This group begins practicing on the Wednesday after Memorial Day.
- This practice group is for swimmers who are competing in meets and can handle the training ritual of an 8-under practice which includes swimming laps and stroke-technique instruction.
- This group does not begin practice until Friday, June 14. (Our after-school lane space is limited and the crowded lanes are not safe for our littlest swimmers).
- This practice group is for swimmers who can make it across the pool (or just about across the pool) in at least freestyle and sometimes backstroke. These swimmers aren’t quite ready for the training ritual of the 8-under practice group but are often competing in at least one stroke. They practice in their own lane during the 8-Under practice.
- The Head Coach determines whether a developing swimmer should be moved up a group as the summer progresses.
- This group does not begin practice until Friday, June 14. (Times are determined based on the size of the group). They practice in the separate shallow-area of the pool.
- This group is for swimmers who are not ready for the competitive team but are interested in being on the team in the future.
- Generally, these are our youngest swimmers who are comfortable in the water, will put their face in the water, and will attempt to swim.
- In general, Mini Dolphins should be at least 4 years old.
- The head coach will determine if a child is ready to be a Mini Dolphin.
- Only those participants who are determined to be comfortable in the water and comfortable in a group setting, and those who have the maturity and attention span required to ensure the safety of all swimmers will be considered.
- In order to ensure the safety of these swimmers, the size of this group is limited. Siblings of Dolphin swimmers are given priority for this group. Non-siblings are considered on a space-available basis.
- The Head Coach determines whether a developing swimmer should be moved up to the next group as the summer progresses.
When does practice end?
- For most swimmers, the end of the season is defined by the last scheduled Wednesday Night B-Meet.
- Swimmers participating in Divisionals and Mini Dolphins will continue to practice up until Divisionals.
- Swimmers who qualify for All-Stars will continue to practice during the week prior to All-Stars. Practice times for these weeks will be announced by the coaches.
- Practice Times for all swimmers during the weeks of July 15 - 26 are TBD pending Divisionals seeding and All-Star participants.