These Standards are provided to promote respect, fairness, civility, honesty, responsibility, and appropriate behavior. These Standards foster a positive environment at all swim meets; establish an atmosphere of respect for all participants, officials, and spectators; produce positive learning outcomes for all; build participant and team spirit; and enhance the sport of swimming.
All Athletes, Coaches, Team Representatives, Officials, Parents/ Spectators shall:
- Respect all officials at all times, and address them in a courteous manner.
- Avoid using inappropriate language, profanity, humiliating or intimidating remarks or behavior, verbal or physical assault toward any athlete, coach, team representative, official, or spectator.
- Follow applicable management, pool, and facility rules, respecting others’ property at all times.
- Display respect, courtesy, and good manners toward athletes, coaches, Team Representatives, and spectators. Team Representatives shall assist officials in maintaining control of spectators during meets.
- Demonstrate humility in victory and courtesy in defeat.
Head Coaches shall:
- Ensure athletes and assistant coaches demonstrate maturity and good sportsmanship toward other athletes, officials, coaches, and spectators at all times.
- Lead by example to instill a love for the sport, advance aquatic skills, teamwork and good sportsmanship in their team.
- Maintain an appropriate distance from the competition area by remaining in established viewing areas and shall not encroach the pool deck or interfere with any officials.
- Not engage in loud, intimidating, disrespectful, or negative behavior toward officials, athletes, other spectators, support personnel, or pool staff (including lifeguards).