As a member of the Greenview Dolphins Swim Team, I am part of a swimming organization that believes teamwork, integrity, respect and good sportsmanship are more important than winning. By signing this Code of Conduct, I agree to follow the rules for behavior and sportsmanship while I am a member of Greenview Dolphins. The following behavior guidelines state the principles Greenview expects all members to demonstrate and uphold.
As parents, it is essential that we give our coaching staff the respect and authority they deserve to run our swim team. Our coaches are hired for that purpose and the Head Coach oversees the direction of the staff.
PART I – PARENTS CODE of CONDUCT
· Set the right example for our children by showing respect and common courtesies always to the other parents, this team and other team members, coaches, competitors, and officials.
· for all facilities and other property used during practice or competition.
· Respect the integrity of swim officials by assuming decisions are based on honest, objective evaluations of performance. Only coaches may approach meet an Official.
· Understand that opposing teams, including their swimmers, coaches, and fans, want the same positive experiences for their swimmers as we do. Help the Greenview Swim Team achieve our goals by avoiding criticism either verbally or by a gesture.
· Demonstrate good sportsmanship during all practices, competitions and team activities. Promote good sportsmanship by setting an example and by helping others to do likewise.
· Be an active participant in all fundraising events and other team activities and encourage and support your child by
permitting them to be timely for practices and competitions.
· Realize that swimmers become easily confused when coached by parents and benefit most from positive reinforcement of the coaching staff’s instructions and advice. Your unconditional love and support before and after races will help them best.
· Recognize that Greenview coaches are our team coaches and allow them to coach your child without interference during practice and meets, including not being present on deck during practice or competitions unless you are working at the meet.
· If you have concerns, you will address it with the appropriate coach in private.
· Maintain open and honest communication among all members of the Greenview family. We reach our common goals by working together.
· Insist that your child refrains from using alcohol, tobacco, drugs, other prohibited substances, violence, abusive or
foul language, inappropriate sexual conduct or any other behavior deemed dishonest, discourteous, offensive or disrespectful of others.
Greenview Dolphins Code of Conduct
PART II – PARENT – BASIC RESPONSIBILITIES
· Practice teamwork with all parents, swimmers, and coaches by supporting the values of Discipline, Loyalty, Commitment, and Hard Work.
· Assist the coaches in conducting effective practices by ensuring swimmers arrive and leave on time and bring the proper equipment.
· Arrive at all meet in time.
· Maintain self-control always. Refrain from inappropriate behavior that detracts from a positive image of the team or is detrimental to our performance
· Know your role. Swimmers – Swim / Coaches – Coach / Officials – Officiate / Parents – Parent
· Call or meet with coaches during normal business hours before or after practice/meets to discuss issues.
· Do not coach your child at a practice or during meets, that is the coach’s job.
· Assist the coaches by not talking with or motioning to swimmers during practices unless clearing it with a coach first.
· Do not interrupt or confront the coaching staff on the pool deck during practice or meets.
· Trust and support your swimmer’s and coach’s decisions around goal-setting, training commitments, swim event
entries and meet schedules. Do not impose your ambitions on your child.
· Any questions about disqualifications, judging, etc. should be directed to the coach.
· Get involved….be an official, volunteer timer, help plan a fundraiser, help plan team events. Find something to help the Greenview Dolphins Swim Team
· Share the burden among parents by volunteering to help at meets.
· Pay your fees on time.
· Know and uphold the Greenview Dolphins rules, regulations, management and coach directives, and by-laws that are designed to maximize the experience for all swimmers and parents.
Greenview Dolphins Code of Conduct
PART III – SWIMMER CODE of CONDUCT
The undersigned athlete participating with/for the Greenview Dolphins Swim Team agrees to abide by the guidelines outlined below in addition to those established by the organization.
· Swim for the fun, to achieve your goals not just to please your parents or coach.
· Use every team practice, meet participation and team activity an opportunity to learn and mature.
· Swimmers are expected to remember that at practice, during swim meets, team activities and in public, they are representing Greenview Dolphins. They should represent the Dolphins with excellence, respect, team spirit, good sportsmanship, and politeness.
· Swimmers are expected always to follow the directions of any member of the coaching staff, respect any instructions by officials and any person who is a chaperone. Disrespect or failure to obey instructions will not be tolerated by any athlete.
· Swimmers are expected to show respect, common courtesies, and good sportsmanship always to the team members, coaches, competitors, officials, parents and for all facilities and other property used during practices, competitions, and team activities.
· Swimmers should be punctual and arrive on time for all practices and meets and team events. Pool time is very valuable.
· Swimmers are required to attend all team meetings, practice sessions and swim meets (if registered for meets) unless excused by staff or have made special arrangements with the team coach.
· Swimmers must notify the coach in advance if they are planning to leave practice or swim meets early.
· Swimmers are expected to wear Greenview Dolphins team caps at all swim meets. This displays team pride and makes it easier to identify swimmers on the blocks and in the water.
· Swimmers will come to all team sponsored events in the appropriate attire.
· Swimmers should be an active participant in all team practices, competitions, fundraising events, and team activities.
· Focus on every drill and every set. Be committed to putting forth your best effort every day. An honest effort does not include cutting laps, pulling on lane lines or missing send offs/sets.
· Disruption of practice by an athlete will be grounds for removal. Continual cheating in a practice will be considered a disruption of practice.
· The coaches are there to help the swimmers. Swimmers are expected to pay attention and follow all the coach’s instructions
completely and exactly. If any clarification is needed, they are to ask questions politely.
· Swimmers are expected to use appropriate language. Use of profane or abusive language or obscene gestures will not be tolerated.
Greenview Dolphins Code of Conduct
· Dishonestly, theft, and/or vandalism will not be tolerated.
· Indiscreet or destructive behavior will not be tolerated
· Every effort should be made to avoid guilt by association with such activities as those listed above.
· There shall be no drinking of alcohol or the use of tobacco products or illegal drugs or any substances banned by USA Swimming
· Swimmers are expected to respect each other. Fighting, intentional touching or striking another athlete will subject the swimmer to the most severe discipline.
Swimmers are expected to follow the spirit of the rules as well as the specific rules. The coach must adopt this philosophy to an infinite number of situations. Swimmers are asked to respect the coach’s directions and give their full cooperation. Cooperation with teammates and staff will produce a productive practice environment and competitive environment for all.
PART IV – VIOLATION OF THE CODE – SWIMMERS
The coaches have the authority to impose the following penalties for violation of the Elite Rays Swim Club Code of Conduct. The penalties include, but are not limited to, the following:
· The swimmer will be given a verbal warning.
· The swimmer will be pulled out of practice in addition to a verbal warning and the coach will contact the parent.
· The swimmer will need to be accompanied by a parent at practice for four (4) consecutive days.
· If the swimmer continues his/her bad behavior, he/she will be suspended for one (1) week. (There will be NO prorated fee for monthly dues.)
If the swimmers the disciplinary problem continues, the swimmer and parent will meet with the coach to discuss the problem further.
· I agree that if I violate any of these rules, I will be subject to disciplinary action determined by the coaches, which may include expulsion from the team.
Parent by placing your name below, you agree that you have reviewed the Greenview Dolphins Code of Conduct with the registered athlete and the athlete understands the Greenview Dolphins Code of Conduct and that you (the parent/guardian) and the swimmer agree to abide by this Code and accept the penalties for not abiding by these.