What is an Emperor (GOLD) Penguin?
- Typically ages 13 and older swimmers who are able to swim at least one lap of each stroke – freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly unassisted.
- Emperor Penguin practice emphasizes technique including starts, turns and finishes; legalizing strokes, and conditioning. Workouts are strenuous and geared towards swimmers with advanced skills.
- All Emperor Penguins will receive a swim team participation award.
What is a King (SILVER) Penguin?
- Typically ages 9, 10, 11, 12 year old swimmers who are able to swim at least one lap of each stroke – freestyle and backstroke, unassisted.
- King Penguins focus on refining freestyle and backstroke technique, learning advanced disciplines of butterfly and breaststroke while refining diving and block starts. Practice focuses on stroke technique, legalizing strokes, or conditioning, depending upon skill level.
- All King Penguins will receive a swim team participation award.
What is a Royal (BRONZE) Penguin?
- Typically ages 8 and under swimmers who are still learning how to swim freestyle and backstroke. Swimmer MUST be able to swim at least one full length (25 yards) of the pool unassisted.
- Royal Penguins focus on two competitive strokes freestyle and backstroke, basic starts including diving and are introduced to breaststroke and butterfly.
- All Royal Penguins will receive a swim team participation award.
What is a Junior Penguin or Beginner?
- Typically ages 4–6 swimmers who CANNOT yet swim one full length (25 yards) of the pool unassisted. Swimmer must have previous swim lesson experience and be able to swim a flags length with minimal assistance.
- Jr. Penguins will swim in “Mini Meets" as they advance. These events will be held on Friday mornings during regular Royal (BRONZE) practice times.
At Coaches’ discretion, Junior Penguins may be moved up to Royal (BRONZE) Level and compete in Dual Meets during the season.