Ocean Pines Swim Team Assistant Coach Position Description
Ocean Pines Swim Team (OPST) offers a competitive swim program for a variety of ages and abilities in Ocean Pines, MD. We are seeking an enthusiastic assistant coach to further develop, and expand our existing swim program under the direction of the Head Coach and Board of Directors. OPST is a non-profit, board-governed, coach-led team.
Our current year-round team has approximately 85 USA Swimming registered athletes who compete in the Maryland LSC. Delmarva Swim Association is the summer league in which the team competes, with team size increasing to over 140 swimmers.
Compensation: This is an hourly position with compensation based on qualifications and experience. Job-related education and travel expenses are covered or reimbursed.
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK: Collaborate with the team’s Head Coach to manage the existing year-round completive team and the complimentary summer league program. Oversee daily practices and meets at the discretion of the head coach.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Contribute to and advance the overall team mission on coaching, swimmer development, and team dynamics. Motivate and inspire swimmers to set, meet, and surpass their goals.
- Work with Head Coach to create fun and engaging, yet challenging, skills-based practices.
- Attend swim meets in which swimmer’s under their direction are attending.
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings as requested by the Head Coach or Board.
- Collaborate with the coaching staff and board members to implement benchmarks set by Head Coach for measuring our swimmers’ improvement and increasing opportunities for all swimmers on the team.
- Work with the Head Coach as needed to oversee meet entries for swimmers in their primary practice group.
- Track swimmers’ training goals along with attendance figures. This includes individual goal meetings with swimmers on a seasonal basis and any additional meetings as needed under the direction of the Head Coach.
8. Promote a safe, team-oriented environment and spirit of competitiveness.
9. Demonstrate passion and excitement for the sport of swimming and teaching athletes.
- Possess experience with Team Unify and Hy-Tek is preferred. Ability to learn quickly is required if the applicant is not familiar.
11. Possess strong organizational and communication skills and the ability to give attention and critiques to all athletes on a daily basis in practice environments.
- Meet all USA Swimming certification and coaching requirements (CPR, Safety Training for Swim Coaches, USA Background Check, USA Swimming Safe Sport, Athlete Protection Training, etc.
- Comply with USA Swimming’s Code of Conduct including the Safe Sport requirements at all times.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE PREFERRED: College degree in related field preferred and one-year coaching competitive swimming or any combination of education, training, and experience providing the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform essential job functions. Personal experience in competitive swimming.
WORKING CONDITIONS: In and around both indoor and outdoor pool facilities. Requires traveling to attend swim meets. Short course season practices held evening hours at an indoor pool. Long Course and summer league season practices are conducted during weekday mornings at an outdoor 7-lane, 25 yard, pool. USA swim meets are typically on weekends at various times throughout the year. DSA swim meets are during June and July on Monday and Thursday evenings with the championship meet on the last Saturday in July.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: all USA Swimming Coach certification requirements including First Aid, CPR, Coach’s Safety Training, and coach education. Must be able to pass a background check.
How to Apply
Send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A letter of application detailing relevant experience and how the applicant is prepared to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. Include a statement describing your coaching philosophy.
- Current resume
- List of at least three current references with contact information. References will not be checked until final interviews are conducted and agreed upon by you and the team.
- Salary expectations
A member of our hiring committee will acknowledge receipt of your application. Qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule an initial phone interview.