Las Trampas offers two different programs for our pre-swim team children. Both are run under the guidance of our head coach, Andrew Preston.
2019 Mudskippers Program
Mudskippers is a pre-swim team program. Mudskipper participants can expect to: (1) have fun, (2) meet and make friends, and (3) work on swim skills, strength, and endurance necessary to become an LT Seahorse (swimming 25 yards freestyle without stopping). Mudskippers receive instruction from 13-18 year old LTST swimmers, under the supervision of the Mudskippers Head Coach. Our 2019 Mudskipper Head Coach is Katrina Rynne. The instructor to swimmer ratio will vary daily.
For 2019 we have developed guidelines to assist parents and coaches in assessing whether their child is ready to be a Mudskipper.
Qualifications Applicable to All Mudskippers
1. Must be at least 3 years old as of June 15, 2019
2. Are comfortable in the water and enters pool voluntarily
3. Are able to float on front and back with support
4. Are able to exhale underneath water surface (i.e., blow bubbles)
5. Are able to kick on front and on back with support
6. Typical age range for Mudskippers is 3 to 5 years old.
The Mudskipper season culminates in a Mudskipper debut on Tuesday, July 16th where friends and family can cheer on their Mudskipper as they show what they've learned. Coaches will be in the water to lend a helping hand if needed.
2019 Developmental Seahorse Program
Our Developmental Seahorse team is designed for those swimmers who have met all the qualifications for a Mudskipper and are swim safe, but are not yet able to swim a full 25 yards without stopping to tread water, hang on the lane line, or hold onto a coach.
1. Will have prior swim lesson experience
2. Are able to jump into deep water and return to wall
3. Are able to submerge to a depth of 3-feet and retrieve an object
4. Are able to swim (any style) 5-yards unassisted
5. Are familiar with at least two of the four competitive strokes
6. Typical age range for Developmental is 4-6 years old.
The goal for our Developmental Seahorses is to have them gain the confidence and skills in order to join the swim team for its' last home meet of the season, which falls on Saturday, July 13th. With parent approval, Developmental Seahorses will swim against each other in one event (race.) The entire team will be on hand to cheer on and welcome our youngest Seahorses to the team.
During the first two days of summer practice, all swimmers will attend practice from 11:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Beginning Wednesday, June 12th, swimmers will attend either the Mudskipper or the Developmental Seahorse practice, as suggested for them. Mudskipper practice runs from 11:30 a.m. to 12:00 and the Developmental Seahorse group practice runs from 12:00-12:30 p.m. Movement between the two groups is fluid as the season progresses.
There are no volunteer requirements for families with just Mudskippers/Developmental Seahorses, and costs for both programs are the same.
Please click here for the complete Practice Schedule.
*Additional processing fee applies to all charges.
Registration is required for each swimmer before entering the water.
REGISTRATION OPENS APRIL 9th, 2019
LATE FEE ASSESSED APRIL 23rd, 2019