MIDLAKES: NEW REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL COACHES
COACHES SAFETY TRAINING
For questions regarding any of this information please contact:
2017 Coaches Reps: Divisions 1 & 2: Laura Halter
Divisions 3, 4 & 5: Candis Brink
Safety Training for Swim Coaches certification can be met through a two-step process:
- Step 1: Safety Training for Swim Coaches Online Content:
- Individuals who are interested in taking Safety Training for Swim Coaches should complete the Safety Training for Swim Coaches - Online Content Only course.
- This course includes web-based delivery of content and an online exam.
- Cost to take the course is $19.00.
- Step 2: In-Water Skills Verification:
- National coaching governing bodies including USA Swimming and Y USA require swim coaches to demonstrate in-water skills. The following Red Cross courses meet the skills verification requirement for these organizations:
- Shallow Water Lifeguarding
- Aquatic Attraction Lifeguarding
- Safety Training for Swim Coaches In-Water Skills Session
See the chart below to determine which training option is required based on current certification status:
Bottom line, if you are a Certified Lifeguard, you do not need to complete the In-Water Skills Session, just the Online Course – every 2 years. If are not a Certified Lifeguard, you need to include an In-Water Session as noted above.
Safety Training for Swim Coaches
Online Content Guide
WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE USING INTERNET EXPLORER FOR THE ONLINE COURSE TO AVOID BROWSER ISSUES
This is the link to the Online Content Safety Training for Swim Coaches. This is the direct link to the sign up screen. The Link above (STSC Supplement) is the written materials that go with it and a flyer that covers more info on how to access the course once registered.
This is a link to the Red Cross Life guarding courses offered in the area. These are only the ones marketed through the red cross. This is a partial list, not everyone’s courses are listed on here.
Certifications obtained through the American Red Cross are valid for a period of 2 years.
Coaches with current and valid USA Swimming Coaches Credentials meet the requirements above.
We recommend that all coaches utilize the American Red Cross trainings for purposes of uniformity and consistency.