Meet Volunteer Job Descriptions
***The jobs of Referee, Starter, and Stroke and Turn Judge require certification by the MCSL. We are very grateful to our parents who volunteer and are certified for these important positions.
The following positions can be done by anyone unless otherwise noted. Please read each job description and feel free to contact any Swim Rep with questions.
Head Timer/Assistant Head Timer (1 volunteer per team):
- Convenes the Timer meeting at the start of the meet
- Verifies that all lanes have 3 timers present
- Briefs the timers on their jobs
- Passes out timer clipboards
- Times each race in case another timer needs back-up
Timers (9 volunteers per team (or 12 per team for 8 lane pools at B Meets)):
- Times the race, starting as instructed by the starter and stopping the watch when any part of the swimmer touches the wall.
- Records times on timer sheets.
- Circles the official time (the time that is neither the lowest or highest of the 3)
Automation Team (Four (4) Jobs):
Computer Operator (1 volunteer): [Requires Training]
- Type the times into the computer as they are read to them
- Makes the changes from the scratch meeting
- Prints copies of the meets results
- Produces disks for both teams and the League
- Prior to the meet works with coaches to prepare the roster and heats.
Asst. Computer Operator (1 volunteer):
- Reads the times from the timer sheets to the computer operator
Scorer (1 volunteer): [Experience a Plus]
- Receives the timer sheets and puts them in lane order
- Staples any DQ cards to time sheets
- Double checks the official time, circling it if needed.
- Notifies the Referee if there is not an official time recorded
- Hands the timer sheets to computer operator
Verifier (1 volunteer):
- Checks the results for the computer after each event against timer sheets
- Maintains the DQ log
- Hands the timer sheets to the ribbon writers
Ribbon Writers (1 volunteer per team):
- Affixes the ribbon labels to the ribbons
- Files the ribbons in the team folders
Clerk of Course (1 volunteer per team):
- Checks in the swimmers and tells them their lanes
- Tells the swimmers where to wait for their events
- Participates in the “scratch meeting” to make substitutions
Runner (1 volunteer per team):
- Picks up the timer sheets from the timers and any DQ cards from the four (4) Stroke & Turn judges and takes them to the scoring table.
Announcer (1 volunteer):
- Announces the events and the swimmers names at A meets
- Makes any other general announcements, including the score, team records, MCSL records, All-Star qualifying times, etc.
Officials Food Coordinator (1 volunteer):
- Arranges for the hospitality for officials during all A and B meets.
Officials Food Coordinator and/or Officials Food Helper (1 volunteer)
- Orders and picks up any store made/purchased items and coordinates volunteers for other items as needed (cut fruit etc.)
- Sets up and cleans up refreshment buffet for officials at the break
- Offers cold waters to officials during heats.
Food Set Up and Sales (2 volunteer):
- Purchases snacks, waters and Gatorades for sale during meets
- Sells snacks and drinks to guests during meets
- Set up before and clean up after meet.