Tanterra's Pre-team is the first step in becoming a part of the Tarpon family. However, Pre-Team is not a replacement for swim lessons; it serves as a transition from basic instructional classes to preparation for competitive swimming. Pre-Team will introduce swimmers to beginning training and racing skills, build endurance, and help develop interest in this great sport in a supportive environment. It will also encourage awareness of the swim meet setting, teach swim team terminology (ex: lanes, stroke, relays, starts) and improve stroke techniques. Coaches Kylie and Ryan will be assisted by other coaches and there will be plenty of hands-on, in-the-water instruction.
Who should consider joining the Pre-Team?
- Children who are 4 (by June 1st of the current year) to 8 year olds
- Boys and girls who demonstrate general confidence in the water
- Children with previous swim experience
With the above requirements being a broad description of swimmers that should consider Pre-Team, below are some more detailed expectation of swimmers in their evaluations.
- Willingness to follow directions and easily separate from parent or guardian
- Able to put their face in the water for a minimum of 5 seconds
- Complete 5 bobs (head all the way under water and back up, consecutively 5 times)
- Able to swim(crawl/freestyle) for 5 yards without putting their feet on the ground
If your child in not ready for the Pre-Team, they will be recommended for private swim lessons.
PRE-TEAM EVALUATIONS WILL BE
MONDAY JUNE 3RD OR WEDNESDAY JUNE 5TH FROM 4:30-5:30pm.
If your swimmer can not attend one of these evaluations, please contact Pre-Team Rep Katie Parker.
THESE EVALUATIONS ARE FOR NEW SWIMMERS ONLY!
If your child has already been a member of the pre-team,
they need not attend an evaluation.