Revised Membership Guidelines for Klahanie Swim Team
The Klahanie Swim Team has enjoyed a rich 31 year history in our community. Starting with 11 swimmers in 1987, we have now swelled to over 200 swimmers the last 2 seasons. We have made every effort to accommodate as many swimmers as possible but we are limited by pool space. The team leadership has determined that the optimal team size is no more than 20 - 25 per gender, per age group with total of 200 – 210 swimmers. Our younger age groups (12 and U) have been significantly larger than this in the past few years. This compromises safety, quality of the swim experience and the number of competitive swims each swimmer can have during the season.
To make the team a better quality experience for our entire team, we are implementing the following policy for the 2019 Season:
• No "Two-Week Trial" for new swimmers – Team practices do not provide the best learning environment for swimmers who aren’t ready to swim a full workout.
• No returning Non-Residents* for swimmers aged 12 and under. – Historically we have welcomed former Klahanie swim team members who have moved from the neighborhood but wish to continue swimming. Due to capacity constraints, we simply can’t offer this anymore as we had to say “NO” to 35 Klahanie resident kids in 2018.
• Returning swimmers must register before the first day of new swimmer Try-outs – After that date, the returning swimmer will only be able to return for this season on a space available basis.
• Based on returning swimmer registrations – There may be limited number of spaces for new swimmers. Coaches will determine new membership based on available space, a swimmer’s skill and age group.
• Each family/swimmer must commit to an entire season – May – 3rd week of July. This includes consistent practices, at least 3 weeks of meets (including an away meet) and a full volunteer commitment. Those families with extensive travel during the season season should consider skipping this season. Its not fair to say “no” to swimmers who will be here all season. Also, the majority of volunteer opportunities are during the meet season (Mid June to Mid July).
Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Capacity constraints have made these policy changes imperative. They are also important to maintaining a high-quality swim experience, while keeping swimmers safe and challenged. We also encourage everyone to contact the Klahanie Homeowners Board and call for an expanded Mtn. View Pool.
*Non – Resident – An individual who doesn’t reside in Klahanie or own property.