The Big Buddy Program is an important part of Norwood’s summer swim team success. Big Buddies are role models, friends, and give their Little Buddies an inside look of what it takes to be a Norwood Super Duck. Usually it is the 11+ swimmers who are the Big Buddies for the 8&U program. (Often we have enough Ducklings for the 9 and 10 year old to be big buddies for the Ducklings program)
Below are some guidelines of what you might do as a Norwood Big Buddy.
- Get to know your Little Buddy. Be a friend!
- Encourage your Little Buddy to come to all the workouts! (Leave surprises in their files.)
- Call your Little Buddy the day before a swim meet or make signs to help them get psyched!
- At a meet:
- Greet your Little Buddy.
- Make sure your Little Buddy warms up.
- Accompany your Little Buddy to get their event slips and inform his/her parents what events they’re swimming.
- Help gather the relay team if your Little Buddy is swimming in one.
- Make sure your Little Buddy gets to all of his/her events!
- CHEER! CHEER! CHEER! Be at the finish with encouragement and a towel.
- If your Little Buddy is DQ’d…a hug or smile works miracles! Go with your Little Buddy to the coaches right away for feedback.
- Encourage your Little Buddy to drink non-carbonated liquids during the meet and to eat a snack.
- At Home Meets most Big Buddies gift their little buddy with thoughtful little something as a token of encouragement.. (such as a home make poster with a protein bar, a small bucket of goodies, a gatorade, a little stuffed duck..homemade items are encouraged!!)
If you are unable to be at a swim meet your Little Buddy is swimming in – LET THEM KNOW BEFORE THE DAY OF THE MEET IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. Try to have another Big Buddy take care of your Little Buddy. Call either of the swim team coordinators if you need help with this.
Remind your Little Buddy about events like the Pancake Breakfast, Friday Doughnuts, Post Meet Events (Dairy Queen, Jamba Juice), and the Awards Banquet. Try to spend a bit of time with them at these events. The Swim Team will take the opportunity at the Awards Banquet to acknowledge all Big Buddies.