Swimmers, please use these general guidelines to help you have your best season possible.
The Barracuda Swim Team does not have cuts or tryouts for swim team; we welcome swimmers of all ages and abilities. However, lanes do get busy during practices and struggling swimmers could be at risk. Suggested guidelines for safety are that children in the 9/10 age group are comfortably able to swim two lengths of the pool and swimmers in the 7/8 and 6 and under age group should be able to comfortably swim one length. During the first and second days of practice all new swimmers aged 10 and under will be asked to pass a safety test and swim a length of the pool. The coaches just want to make sure they are safe in the water and can swim one lap independently. If you or the coaches feel that your child is not yet ready for swim team, Huntington Swim and Tennis Club offers high quality swim lessons given by the coaches of the Barracuda Swim Team and the pool lifeguards.
- Ensure swimmers arrive on time and in proper attire for practices.
- Ensure swimmers are dressed appropriately for weather conditions. Depending on the weather, we could swim in the rain and cold.
- Focus on your child’s effort and development rather than on winning or losing.
- Support your team in a positive manner.
- Introduce yourself to the coaches. Please remember to thank him/her each season.
- Notify your swimmer’s coach of any special needs prior to the first practice.
- Remember that swim team practice is NOT meant to be a swim lesson. If your swimmer needs extra help with any stroke, you need to sign them up for group and/or individual swim lessons.
- Use sportsmanlike conduct on and around the pool, whether home or away. Unsportsmanlike conduct may result in a warning given by the Naperville Swim Conference representatives. Parents can be asked to leave the area.
- If a problem develops between a swimmer or parent and a coach, first discuss the problem with the coach.