The New Paltz Seahawks relies on heavy parent and family involvement to organize and run a successful meet. There is a minimum work requirement of FOUR (4) job credits, but we would like to ask that every family work a meet in which their child is swimming. Please be willing and able to work as necessary.
Meet Job Descriptions
Official (for the duration of the meet) - 1 full Credit
- Arrive 15 Minutes prior to warm up. Officials ensure the fairness and legality of races creating the optimal environment for swimmers. Check in with check in Referee. Training and Certification is required for this position.
Head Timer / Back-Up Timer (for the duration of the meet) - 1 full credit
- Arrive at the pool and check-in 30 minutes prior to the meet start. Attend the timer meeting (approximately 15 minutes before the meet start) and assign lanes and distribute clipboards and stopwatches. Also responsible for collecting clipboards and stopwatches at the conclusion of the meet.
- Responsible for starting two stopwatches at the start of each heat – scan the lanes for anyone whose stopwatch has failed and be prepared to get them one of your stopwatches in a timely manner.
Timer (events 1-29 and 30 – end)- ½ credit per session
- Arrive at the pool and check-in 30 minutes prior to the meet start. Attend the timer meeting (approximately 15 minutes before the meet start).
- Check the name of the swimmer assigned to your lane – confirm their presence before the start of the heat
- There will be (3) timers per lane, one of which will be responsible for recording times on the card and handing them off to the ‘runner’. All timers in each lane will start the stopwatch on the strobe light flash, and stop the stopwatch as the swimmer touches the wall. Should your stopwatch not work properly during a race, you are responsible for waving down the head timer and replacing the stopwatch.
50/50 Raffle Sales (events 1-20 and 21-39) ½ credit per session
- Collect tickets, apron, and cash envelope from Meet Director at the start of the meet
- Sell 50/50 tickets to both teams
- Count money collected in the presence of a board member and mix up the tickets before pulling the winning number at the beginning or during breaststroke events (40-49)
Heat Winner Ribbon Distribution (events 1-29 and 30-53) ½ credit per session
- Collect heat winner ribbons from Meet Director during the timer meeting or any time BEFORE the start of the meet
- Watch each race (ages 8 & Under / 10 & Under / 12 & Under ONLY) and hand out a heat winner ribbon to the swimmer who finishes first in their heat
Ribbon Writer/Labeler (event 20 – 15 minutes AFTER the end of the meet) 1 credit per session
- Arrive at the scoring tent at the conclusion of event 20 (freestyle). As the labels of each event are printed, attach them to the appropriate ribbon and file them in the ribbon box.
Card Runner (for the duration of the meet) – 1 full credit
- Arrive at the pool and check-in 30 minutes prior to the meet start.
- Take event cards from the swimmers at the chairs (before they get to the starting blocks) and pick up the cards from the timers and deliver them to the scoring table. Running shoes necessary, as this job entails making your way around the entire pool as fast as a swimmer swims across the pool.
Water Runner (events 1-29 and 30-end) ½ credit per session
- Making sure officials and timers from both teams are hydrated during the meet
Event Board (events 1-29 and 30-end) ½ credit per session
- Pay close attention to the meet (every race, every heat) and update the event board at the start of each heat. Operated via wireless remote.
Parking Attendant – 3:15 arrival for Wednesday HOME meets and 7:00 arrival for Saturday HOME meets) – ½ credit
- Arrive at the meet before swimmers, parents and other team begins to arrive
- Check in with a board member and get a ‘vest’ from the shed
- Guide cars into proper parking lot / spaces to ensure best possible use of our limited parking area
- Handicapped parking, board, and coaches ONLY in the upper lot, in designated spaces
Concessions (Set up and Events 1-29 and Events 30-end & breakdown) ½ credit per session
- If you are signed up for events 1-29, please arrive and check into the meet 30 minutes prior to the meet start. Load and carry necessary items from the shed to the pavilion. Set up and arrange the concession stand. This includes helping ice down the beverages.
- If you are signed up for events 30 – end, please be sure to help breakdown the concession stand (generally beginning at the end of breaststroke events) and return the tables to their original spots. Also responsible for loading and carrying non-perishable items to the shed from the pavilion.
- Coordinate with other workers so that you may leave for your child’s event, but be sure the concession stand is NEVER left unattended.
- One person will be designated in charge of concessions at every meet – this person will count and sign off on the money collected – hand off to a board member (who will also count and sign off on money collected)
Ice Pick Up / Cooler Setup – 3:15 arrival for Wednesday HOME meets and 7:00 arrival for Saturday HOME meets) – ½ credit
- Picks up ice (approximately TEN 10-lb. bags) before HOME meets and ice downs the drinks in coolers beforehand
Bullpen – (for the duration of the meet) 1 full credit
- Checks swimmers in (against the coaches meet lineup) prior to seeding, to ensure heats and lanes are full, and that swimmers are in the right place at the right time
Bullpen Mover (for the duration of the meet, one for boys, one for girls) 1 full credit
- Move swimmers from the benches to chairs to starting blocks in the bullpen area
Computer / Statistics (for the duration of the meet) - 1 full credit
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to the start of the meet. Gather results from the sorters and scorers and enter data into the computer,
- Responsible for printing labels for ribbons
- Responsible for printing results for the head coaches to sign off on at the conclusion of the meet
Sorter (for the duration of the meet) – 1 full credit
- Circles the median time on the race cards, and sorts the cards in TIME ORDER as they are turned into the scoring table
Scorer (for the duration of the meet) – 1 full credit
- Records and tallies the top (3) three times for each team on the scoring sheet
10 & Under and 8 & Under Girls / Boys Seeding Parent – 1 full credit
- Arrive to the meet 30 minutes before the start to collect clipboard and cards for the entire age group / gender.
- Help grid each swimmer’s arm with their events (enlist the help of another age-group parent)
- Gather and line up the swimmers prior to each event, get them to the bullpen in a TIMELY manner and give them their cards at the bullpen benches.
- Keep the group relatively contained during the meet
Bathroom Attendant / Monitor / Grounds cleanup (for the duration of the meet) – 1 full credit
- Sit near either boy / girl bathrooms and make sure swimmers (and siblings) are not playing with water, being reckless, etc.
- Periodically walk into the bathroom to ensure safety of swimmers
- At the conclusion of the meet, ensure that the grounds are cleaned up and free of Seahawks things (put items left behind in the lost and found box, throw trash away)
MISCELLANEOUS JOBS (not at meets)
Awards - 2 full credits
- Trophies delivered to your home – organize trophies in age order, then alphabetical order – and delivered and set up at the banquet early on Sunday, July 31st (or Saturday, July 30th depending on venue’s flexibility)
Envelopes – 1 full credit
- stuffing envelopes, during DUSO Championships with ribbons, personal time sheets, etc (handed off to a board member before DUSO’s are over)
Ribbon Box - ½ credit
- empty out and set up the box for the current season – includes labeling using the roster as a guide
Card Setup – Tuesday and Friday mornings before a scheduled meet, under the pavilion – ½ credit
- Affixing labels to the cards as needed, based on coaches’ master list