As we gear up for this season, we wanted to make sure everyone understands how a regular swim meets work, what help we need from parents and how the events are run for our swimmers. As a reminder - all meets generally start at 8 AM, and generally finish between 12:00-12:30 PM. For all swim meets, we recommend you bring your own chairs as furniture is very limited at most pools.
VERY IMPORTANT – PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU INFORM COACH JAMES AND TEAM REPS OF ANY SWIM MEETS THAT YOUR SWIMMER(S) WILL NOT BE AT, AS FAR IN ADVANCE AS POSSIBLE. IF YOUR SWIMMER IS SICK THE MORNING OF THE MEET, PLEASE CALL COACH JAMES AT (757) 748-2264 BY 7:15 AM SO WE CAN MAKE ADJUSTMENTS.
For our away swim meets,
- We need for everyone to arrive at the away pools by 7:15 AM.
- Swimmers are required to check-in with Swimmer Check-in volunteer.
- Our swim warm-ups will run from 7:30 to 7:45 AM.
- For away swim meets we must provide 9 timers, 2 turn judges, 1 stroke judge, 4 people to help with scoring and ribbons and 4-5 parents to help with the clerk of course.
- The maximum number of events a swimmer can participate in is 5 (2 relay events and 3 individual events).
- Each event is divided in heats. For relay events, there is only one heat. For individual events, there are normally two heats, and additional heats may be swum to accommodate large age groups.
- Assuming a swimmer does not disqualify (swim incorrectly) in an event, they have the potential to receive a place ribbon and score points for their team. Those swimmers that do not get a place ribbon will receive a participation ribbon. Once a swimmer has swum in a particular event during the season, they will receive a “Personal Best” ribbon if they improve their time in that event. We feel that this is the most important ribbon anyone receives during the season.
- Depending on the size of the pool we are at (6 lane or 5 lane pool), we can only enter a certain number of swimmers in each event. At 6 lane pools, we can enter 3 relay teams (4 swimmers per team) in each relay event and normally only 6 individual swimmers in each individual swim event. At 5 lane pools, we can enter 2 relay teams and normally only 5 individual swimmers.
- Some swimmers may be asked to “swim-up” in the next age bracket depending on how many swimmers we need to accommodate for a meet.
- Our goal is to get as many events for swimmers as they are capable of swimming, but we have limitations just based on numbers. Even though the maximum number of events for a swimmer is 5, some swimmers may only get to swim in 2-3 events.
- Meet entries will be posted on our team web site www.teamunify.com/recomow usually Friday night before the meet.
- Also, when you arrive at the meet and proceed to our designated team area, there will be a bulletin board listing all the events a swimmer is entered in.
- Please pay close attention to what event/heat is being swum.
- You will hear announcements asking for swimmers in certain events to go to their “clerk of course”. This gathering of swimmers is also called the “zoo”. The clerks of course are our team parents that volunteer to organize the swimmers and make sure they are in the right place at the right time to swim.
- At most meets, the results of each event and a running score of the event are posted usually within 15 minutes of the completion of an event.
- The relay and individual event results will also be posted on the website usually no later than Sunday afternoon.