Background-image
Weather Cancellations?

 Weather Cancellation Policy and Notification

 

Wet weather and wind can create confusion about weather or not practice will be held. BLST wants to give every swimmer every opportunity to practice. We must also consider the safety of our swimmers, parents, and spectators. Many times the decision for canceling practice is a safety and facility issue made by the head lifeguard and facility management. 

Ultimately, it is the swimmer and the parents decision to attend practice during inclement weather. Wet weather alone will not cancel a practice. The swimmers should already be wet. However, thunder and lightning create a risk and will cause the swimmers to be removed from the pool and moved to shelter. The swimmers will not be allowed back into the pool for at least 30 minutes following the last flash or boom. High winds may also be a reason for cancellation. The Head Lifeguard and pool management has final determination on cancellation. Since inclement weather is considered a natural event and not controlled by the BLST or Splashdown WaterPark refunds are not provided and practices may not be rescheduled.

Since some of our swimmers travel great distances to attend practice or stroke clinics we want to get information to them as quickly as possible. In general, we advise looking at this page to find the latest status. However, we may start a practice and have to cancel part or all of the remainder. That notification will be posted here with the time of the update or advisory. If you have verified your email address you should also get an email notification.

Latest Advisory and Notification

For Thursday, 7/11/2019Updated at 3:45 PM..

  • Morning PracticePool Open - No restrictions
  • Stroke ClinicPool Open - No restrictions
  • Evening Practice 6:15 PMPool CLOSEDLightning & thunder in area.
  • Evening Practice 7:15 PMPool CLOSEDLightning & thunder in area..
  • Duckling PracticePool CLOSEDLightning & thunder in area.

3:30 PM: Splashdown called and said they were closed for the day due to current weather and future forecast. Additionally, forecast includes high winds and flash flood warnings peaking around 6:15-7:45PM. We'll cancel practice tonight. Try to make it in the morning!

For Monday, 7/8/2019Updated at 9:25am.

  • Morning PracticePool Open - No restrictions
  • Stroke ClinicPool Closed - No restrictions
  • Evening Practice 6:15 PMPool CLOSEDNo restrictions
  • Evening Practice 7:15 PMPool CLOSEDNo restrictions
  • Duckling PracticePool CLOSEDNo restrictions

At 5:45 AM: Only 30% chance of rain and the thunder should hold of until after stroke clinics. See you soon.

At 9:25 AM: pool closed due to restricted visibility of pool bottom.

For Friday, 7/5/2019Updated at 6:15AM..

  • Morning PracticePool Open - No restrictions
  • Stroke ClinicPool Open - No restrictions
  • No Evening Practices or Ducklings on Fridays

At 6:15AM: There is fog but no storms until after 11:00AM. Join us for Friday Funday and Breast or Backstroke Clinic. 

For Thursday, 6/27/2019Updated at 7:05 PM..

  • Morning PracticePool Open - No restrictions
  • Stroke ClinicPool Open - No restrictions
  • Evening Practice 6:15 PMPool CLOSEDLightning & thunder in area.
  • Evening Practice 7:15 PMPool CLOSEDLightning & thunder in area..
  • Duckling PracticePool CLOSEDLightning & thunder in area.

At 7:05PM: All evening practices cancelled due to lightning and thunder.

For Monday, 6/24/2019Updated at 5:25 PM..

  • Morning PracticePool Open - No restrictions
  • Stroke ClinicPool Open - No restrictions
  • Evening Practice 6:15 PMPool CLOSEDHeavy rain (pool visibility) & thunder in area.
  • Evening Practice 7:15 PMPool CLOSEDDespite possible clearing, thunder still possible.
  • Duckling PracticePool CLOSEDHeavy rain (pool visibility) & thunder in area.

At 5:25PM: The rain is heavy and bottom of pool is obscured. Storms in the forecast until 7:30PM but too late for 2nd practice. All practices cancelled and Parent Meeting rescheduled until Tuesday night.

For Thursday, 6/19/2019Updated at 1:00 PM..

  • Morning PracticePool Open - No restrictions
  • Stroke ClinicPool Open - No restrictions
  • Evening Practice 6:15 PMPool Open. No restrictions
  • Evening Practice 7:15 PMPool Open. No restrictions
  • Duckling PracticePool Open. No restrictions

At 1:00PM: There are storms in the forecast for this evening. Look for an update closer to practice times. 

For Wednesday, 6/19/2019Updated at 5:50 am.

  • Morning PracticePool Open - No restrictions
  • NO Stroke ClinicPool Open - No restrictions
  • NO Evening Practice 6:15 PM
  • NO Evening Practice 7:15 PM
  • NO Duckling Practice

At 5:50 am: The storms have passed for the morningm but it is cool-low 70s. We'll have morning practice. There is no other practices scheduled on this Wednesday.

For Tuesday, 6/18/2019Updated at 6:26 pm.

  • Morning PracticePool Open - No restrictions
  • Stroke ClinicPool Open - No restrictions
  • Evening Practice 6:15 PMPool Closed. Rain/Thunder predicted. Check back at 6:15 AM
  • Evening Practice 7:15 PMPool Closed.Rain/Thunder predicted. Check back at 6:15 AM
  • Duckling PracticePool Closed.Rain/Thunder predicted. Check back at 6:15 AM

At 5:30 PM: We'll try to make it thru 8PM without thunder.

At 5:40 PM: Splashdown closed pool until 6:10 PM due to thunder and lightning in area.

At 6:26PM: Practice cancelled due to thunder/lightning and torrential downpour!

For Monday, 6/17/2019, Updated at 10:45 am.

  • Morning Practice: Pool Open - No restrictions
  • Stroke ClinicPool Open - No restrictions
  • Evening Practice 6:15 PM: Pool Open. No restrictions
  • Evening Practice 7:15 PMPool ClosedRain/Thunder. Practice cancelled at 7:45PM
  • Duckling PracticePool Open. No restrictions

At 7:35 PM: Head guard stated more thunder heard and 30 minute window would be late. Decision made to cancel 2nd practice.

At 7:10 PM: Thunder was heard and the lifeguards had all swimmers leave the pool. This is when the team meeting is scheduled.

At 5:25 PM: The radar shows rain passing through between 5:30- 6:30 PM, followed by some scattered showers. So we will try to have practice for all swimmers. If there is a thunder delay we will have the team meeting, then try to finish the practices. If the weather changes, we will post an update here.