Excerpted from the Stonewall Park Swim Team Bylaws, 1/1/14
ARTICLE VI: OFFICERS
The SPST Board of Directors may consist of as many positions as the membership approves. Positions may be co-directed, in which case both parties will have a right to vote. The officers of the Board of Directors may include the following:
- First Vice President
- Second Vice President
- League Representative
- Meet Operations Director
- Concessions Director
- Apparel Director
Members of the Board of Directors shall be elected by the members of the Team. The Immediate Past President and Lifetime Members shall serve as advisors to the Board. The Board will consult these individuals, as needed, in matters pertaining to historical knowledge of team procedures and practices.
In the course of carrying out the business of the Team the Board may at any time appoint other agents with such powers and duties as it deems necessary. Any officer may be removed at any time by the Board of Directors or by the affirmative vote of a majority of the membership at a special meeting of the membership called for that purpose.
Each elected position of the Board of Directors shall have one vote at Board meetings. The President shall only vote in case of a tie. In cases of Board actions that could lead to the removal of a Board or Team member, voting shall be by secret ballot. The duties of the officers of the Board of Directors are as follows:
A. The President shall:
- Preside at all regular and special meetings of the Team and at all meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Have general management and control of the business and affairs of the corporation.
- Call any special meetings as may be required in conformance with the By-Laws of the Team.
- Coordinate with, or delegate coordination with, the Manager of the Stonewall Park facility, or other facilities, pertaining to the scheduling of meets, practices, and other appropriate functions.
- Contract with Coaches and Assistants and ensure that contractual obligations are met.
- Ensure necessary records and paperwork related to Team and Board activities are maintained by the appropriate Board Members.
- Perform additional duties and functions as necessary and customary.
- Upon leaving office at the end of his/her elected term, facilitate the transition of responsibility to the new President.
B. The First Vice President shall:
- Serve in the President's stead in the absence of the President and shall, in such an event, discharge the duties of the President.
- Generally assist the President and exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as shall be prescribed by the Directors.
C. The Second Vice President shall:
- Serve in the President’s stead in the absence of the President and First Vice President.
- Maintain the official membership roll of the Team.
- Accept and forward meet entry files in a timely manner to those responsible for organizing meets.
- Record swimmer times during meets.
- Provide reports and analysis of swimmer performance as required to the Head Coach.
- Maintain electronic record of meet results for each swimmer.
- Be responsible for transmitting meet results and individual special achievements to the PWSL as the League requires.
- Prepare improvement ribbons after each meet.
- Provide reports as required and prepare packets for end of season awards.
D. The Secretary shall:
- Retain all historic documents and other necessary Team documentation.
- Maintain the roll of Board members and keep the minutes of each team and board meeting.
- Prepare and mail all official correspondence.
- Attend to the giving and serving of all notices to the members and directors, or other notices required by law or these By-Laws.
- Prepare all contracts and ensure proper signing.
- Ensure content on the team website is complete and current.
- Provide information to Team members and perform all other duties incident to the office of Secretary.
E. The Treasurer shall:
- Have the custody of all funds securities, evidences of indebtedness and other personal property of the corporation and shall deposit the same in such bank or trust company as shall be designated by the directors of the Team or the President.
- Receive and give receipts and a quittance for monies paid in on account of the Team and shall pay out of the funds on hand all bills and other just debts of the Team of whatever nature upon maturity of the same.
- Monitor the Team’s financial records, verify the current signature cards are on file and ensure that signature of the Treasurer and one other officer are on all checks issued on behalf of the team.
- Enter regularly in the books of the corporation to be kept by him or her for that purpose in order to maintain full and accurate accounts of all monies received and paid out by him or her on account of the Team.
- Prepare monthly financial reports and present same at each regular Board.
- Comply with all Federal and State tax laws as appropriate.
- Prepare and monitor annual budget.
- Administer the petty cash fund, as herein defined.
- Serve as Chairman of the Budget Committee.
F. The League Representative shall:
- Serve as liaison with the Prince William Swim League in all matters pertaining to the Team.
- Attend all meetings of PWSL.
- Oversee the purchase and distribution of Team awards.
- Receive and transmit inter-team grievances for resolution to the Board of Directors and/or appropriate governing bodies.
G. The Meet Operations Director shall:
- Oversee and coordinate all activities related to conducting meets.
- Solicit, coordinate with and check in volunteers for all posts during home and away meets.
- Correspond and communicate with representatives from opposing team before each meet.
- Ensure that all meet-related equipment is set up prior to each home meet and taken down as soon as possible at the conclusion at the meet.
- Provide and/or arrange for training for meet officials.
- Serve as the Alternate League Representative and attend meetings of the Prince William Swim League in the absence of the League Representative.
H. The Concessions Director shall:
- Operate the concession table at evening practices.
- Oversee all concession functions and volunteer positions for all home meets.
- Maintain accurate accounting of monies expended and raised relative to concessions.
- Maintain equipment and inventory of all items required to run concessions.
I. The Apparel and Equipment Director shall:
- Obtain and parlay all required swim apparel and gear, as well as spirit wear, as directed by the Board.
- Maintain order inventory and provide items for sale during practices and meets, as prescribed by the Board.