Southeast Cluster Meeting
May 4, 2002
The meeting was called to order with Julia Jamiel presiding.
No Treasurer’s Report was provided.
Summary/Discussion of 2001 League Championships
·There was general consensus that, overall, League Championships ran quite smoothly.
- It was noted by the Charleston representatives that there was some confusion behind the blocks, attributed, in part, to a timer. Dave Filon stated the swimmers were given the benefit of the doubt. Extenuating circumstances and apparent unfairness will continue to be considered in any decisions.
- Concerns were raised concerning the availability of concessions and the fact that swimmers and spectators had to go over to the ice rink to get food. It was suggested that in the future, the issue of concessions be addressed in the contract.
The By-Laws Committee was formed with the following members volunteering for service:
The committee will meet via teleconference on July 21, 2002 at 7:00 p.m. Julia Jamiel will finalize the arrangements with the members.
By-Laws Changes for Consideration
The following issues will be addressed by the By-Laws Committee:
- Instituting a fine for late League Championship entries – It was noted that UPS ground will get a package to the recipient in 2 days. The ability to send entries electronically was also discussed. The due date for championship entries will be looked at, with consideration of making the due date requirement “received by” rather than “post marked by.”
- Entries for dual meets – There were times when entries were not provided to the home team until immediately before the start of the meet. There is currently nothing in the rules about this.
- Scoring of dual meets – Is it required that dual meets be scored? Can scoring be optional?
League Web Site
The web site is very popular and always has something new. Julia Jamiel was commended for her excellent job by those present.
As a reminder, the league’s web site address is – http://mywebpage.netscape.com/seowvswim/.
New Team Joins the League
A new team has joined the swim league, bringing the total number of teams to 18. The new team is from Liberty Township, Powell, OH.
For those coaches that have league record breakers, the times need to be submitted to Julia Jamiel by May 31, 2002.
Future League Meetings
The fall meeting is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. on September 14, 2002 in Cambridge.
The League Championship organization meeting will be held at 1:00 p.m. on November 3, 2002 in Cambridge.
Be sure to check the league’s web site for the location and any changes.
It was discussed that it would be worthwhile for the league to set up our own Safety Training, CPR, and YMCA Principals for Coaches. Contact Bill Brubaker as soon as you can if you are interested. It is anticipated that it will be set up for early next year. It was also noted that the annual Swim Symposium will take place on October 5 and 6, 2002.