Southeast Cluster Meeting
September 15, 2001
The meeting was called to order by President Julia Jamiel. Secretary Pattie Miner read the minutes of the last cluster meeting (May 5, 2001). The minutes were accepted by motion; first by Bill Brubeker and seconded by Doug Gotschall.
The financial report was read by Vice President Jon Reidler. Net income for the period ending August 2001, was $5,274.43.
Announcements from Julia
- A reminder was provided that swim team rosters and $25 are due by November 1, 2001. You may update the roster anytime during the year.
- December 1st is the date to utilize for determining the age bracket for swimmers for the season.
- All coaches’ qualifications are due to Julia by December 15th. Please copy both the front and back of the cards.
- The Southeast Cluster has a web site, http://sites.netscape.net/seowvswim. Julia recommends that you check it occasionally for information.
- There are changes to the relay rules. You can now move 2 swimmers up from a lower age bracket to complete a relay team. Previously only one swimmer could be moved-up.
- Wayne Shankland is the new coach for Parkersburg.
- Circleville is looking for a coach.
Report on Upcoming Clinics
- October 7 – Coaches Safety and Adult CPR in Wheeling, WV from 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., then 12:30 – 3:30 p.m.
- October 7 – Level I Swim Official in Charleston, WV at 9:00 a.m. This session will be taught by Doug Gotschall.
- October 13 – Level I Swim Official at Jerry Garver YMCA (SEEYA) at 8:30 a.m. This session will be taught by Jon Reidler.
- October – Level II Swim Official at Cambridge YMCA. Time and date TBD. This session will be taught by Doug Gotschall.
Update League Roster
Team representatives were asked to update all information on league roster as it was passed around the meeting room.
Report on Zone Meeting
Relay and order of event changes will be posted on the league’s web site.
Discussion and Vote on Proposed Bylaw Changes
The following Bylaw changes were discussed and approved:
- Page 14, Article V.F – Change to read "The championship planning committee chaired by the president…"
- Page 15, Article VII.B.3 – After "… the current season (Sept. 1 – April 30) add "May 1 – August 31." The reason is that Article VII.A has 2 seasons listed.
- Page 16, Article VIII.E.4 – Allow senior event to count toward the team score. Change the wording in line number from "will not be" to "will be."
- Page 16, Article VIII.E.6 – Change first sentence to be the same as the championship meet and zone meet. "Swimmers may move up to fill a relay which has at least 2 individuals in the age group relay."
- Page 19, Article XI.E.5 – Change the sentence "A swimmer may move up to fill a relay which has at least three individuals in that age group relay" to "Swimmers may move up to fill a relay which has at least 2 individuals in that age group relay."
- Page 19, Article XI.E.6 – Change "Senior events will be scored" to "Senior events will not be scored."
Although the zone meet has changed to not have any 15-18 relays, the bylaw committee suggested leaving the dual meet and championship meet event lineup the same as we have always had to include 15-18 relays. If a team wants to swim a senior relay, they can swim it exhibition at a dual meet or in time trials at Championships.
Doug Gotschall had concerns for false starts and the no show rule.
It was noted that renumbering of events for Championships is being done so no confusion should exist at this year’s Championship meet.
Additionally, it was noted there was a need for consistency within the league concerning take-offs for water starts, like hand or part of body. The NCAA rule book states one hand is acceptable and this should be the rule used by all.
Request to League from Pattie Miner (CMMY)
It was requested that one of the CMMY swimmers (Amanda Miner) who just turned 13 be allowed to remain in the girls 11 – 12 age category during the 2001-2002 swim season. The request was based on a medical condition that prevents an increase in swimming ability to the 13 year old level. The request was approved by motion; first by Dave Filon and seconded by Bill Brubeker.
Championship Committee Meeting
The meeting will be held on November 4, 2001 at 2:00 p.m. in Cambridge at the Hospital.
Championships are scheduled for March 2 and 3, 2002. Julia will call OU to confirm pool rental.
Spring Cluster Meeting
The spring meeting is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. on May 4, 2002 in Cambridge at the Hospital.
BRY – Robert File
CFYSH – Emily Allio, Kim Duff
CHY – Tom Maurer
CMMY – Pattie Miner
CYNW - no representatives
CYRT – Julia Jamiel, Doug Gotschall
HAYST – Tom Plemons
LYST – Marcy Happeney, Andy Aspengren
MYAC – John O’Donnell, Kassidy Gonde, Dave Filon
MYST - Brad Snow, Lynne Ricard
NASTY – Jeremy Van Ostran
PICY – Laura Massey, Cindy Moe
PKB – Wayne Shankland, Doug Wright
SEEYA – Connie Cahill, Dan Nagle, Jon Reidler
WHY – Bill Brubaker
YHSC – Carla Prater, Leta Kowal
ZYP – Rick Lawyer, Ryan Baughman