Generally ages 9 to 11, the Skates group is our first competitive year-round swimming group. Swimmers in this group compete at the Regional level and above. Coach Amy and Coach Cassie are the primary coaches for the Skates. Swimmers in this group are focused on improving their racing skills and competency in each of the 4 stroke disciplines: Freestyle (Front Crawl), Backstroke, Breaststroke and Butterfly. They will learn to race 50's, 100's and 200's of the 4 strokes and Individual Medley (IM).
Swimmers must complete the following to the coaches' satisfaction to join the Skates:
- Legal competition of 50 yards or meters of each of the 4 strokes, plus 100 yards or meters of Freestyle and Individual Medley (IM).
- Achieve 10&Under USA Swimming "B" Motivational Time in 1 event
- "Age-In" to the group by being at least 10 years old.
For swimmers to move out of the Skates and into the Bat Rays group, they must meet the following criteria:
- Legal competition of 100 yards or meters of each of the 4 strokes, plus 200 yards or meters of Freestyle and Individual Medley (IM).
- Achieve 11-12 USA Swimming "A" Motivational Time in at least 1 event
Swimmers are only allowed to move between groups at the end of one season and the beginning of the next. Late March to early April is the first such period. Late July to early August is the next such period. The purpose of this is to ensure that swimmers who move up are fully prepared to do so. Holding swimmers back to finish out the season also helps everyone else in the group to be challenged by their faster peers before they move up.