Generally ages 10-14, the Stingrays group is our State-level competitive year-round swimming group. Swimmers in this group compete at AZ AG State and above. Coach Kelly and Kyle are the primary coaches for the Stingrays.
Swimmers in this group are focused on expanding their abilities and racing skills in each of the 4 stroke disciplines and IM. They regularly race in 50's, 100's, 200's of the 4 strokes and Individual Medley (IM), plus distance Freestyle (400/500, 800/1000, 1500/1650) and the 400 IM.
Swimmers must complete the following to the coaches' satisfaction to join the Stingrays:
- Legal competition of 100 yards or meters of each of the 4 strokes, plus 200 yards or meters of Freestyle and Individual Medley (IM).
- Achieve 11-12 USA Swimming "A" Motivational Time in at least 1 event
- "Age-In" to the group by being at least 12 years old.
For swimmers to move out of the Stingrays and into the Mantarays group, they must meet the following criteria:
- Legal competition of 200 yards or meters of each of the 4 strokes, plus 500/400 yards/meters of Freestyle and 400 yards/meters of Individual Medley (IM).
- Achieve 13-14 USA Swimming "AA" Motivational Time in at least 1 event
Swimmers are only allowed to move between groups at the end of one season and the beginning of the next. Late March to early April is the first such period. Late July to early August is the next such period. The purpose of this is to ensure that swimmers who move up are fully prepared to do so. Holding swimmers back to finish out the season also helps everyone else in the group to be challenged by their faster peers before they move up.