Electronic Communication Policy
Coaches - This policy applied to all Head and Assistant Coaches. This policy excludes coaches who are also athletes on the team they coach.
· Communication to athletes should be directly related to team activities, from team accounts.
· Communication should be professional and as a representative/employee of the Club
· Communication should be clear and direct, but also free of hidden meanings, innuendo, and expectations
· One to one communication should include another coach or, for under 13, the athlete’s parent.
· Communication should also go through the filter of “would I be comfortable having this conversation face to face, and would I be fine with other people reading the communication?”
· Communication should NOT involve things like:
o Reference to drugs or alcohol
o Sexually-oriented or sexual references
o The adult or coaches’ personal life, social activities, relationships, family issues, or personal problems
- Subject to the general guidelines mentioned above, communication is allowed between coaches and athletes during the hours from 7am until 9pm, unless there is a weather or facility emergency that requires notification outside of those hours.
This applies to all forms of electronic communication, including but not limited to:
· Email and Personal Blogs
· Texting and Phone Voicemail
· Social Media Platforms and Messaging Apps (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter)
Management of Accounts:
Coaches - Coaches may not have Arbor Heights athletes join their personal accounts. Coaches are encouraged to set their personal accounts to “private” to prevent athletes from accessing the coach’s personal information.
A coach may not accept any “friend requests or request to follow” from an Arbor Heights athlete. In addition, the coach should remind the athlete that this is not permitted.
Coaches are not permitted to “private message or communicate” with athletes through any Social Media Chat mechanism.
Parents – Parents and Coaches may choose to “friend” each other on electronic communication platforms at the discretion of both the coach and the parent. Adults should always practice common sense and good social media awareness, so if both parties elect to friend each other they take responsibility for what is shown and what is seen on each other’s accounts.
Athletes – Athletes are not permitted to accept or request personal communication or connection on these platforms with coaches. Athletes are not permitted to “private message or communicate” with coaches through any Social Media Chat mechanism.
Athletes under 13 cannot be messaged directly – regardless of medium - unless the athlete’s parents/guardians are included in the communication.
REQUEST TO ALLOW ELECTRONIC ACCESS OR COMMUNICATIONS The parents or guardians of an athlete may request, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org that their child may be contacted by a specific coach through some or all forms of electronic communication. Such request must clearly identify the coach or coaches and the request must identify what conduct they will allow / waive. I.e. following of Instagram and Facebook of two coaches on staff. This request MUST be written, preferably by the above email, and will be kept on file for the season. At any time the parent or guardian may amend or rescind the request.
REQUEST TO DISCONTINUE ALL ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS
The parents or guardians of an athlete may request via email to email@example.com that their child not be contacted by coaches through any form of electronic communication.