AHSTC Operating and Safety Rules
(Revised April 2018)
“Facility” is defined as the area contained within the fenced perimeter (including all buildings, swimming pools, tennis courts, grass or cement) within the grounds of Arbor Heights Swim and Tennis Club.
“Grounds” is defined as the area contained by the outer property lines of Arbor Heights Swim and Tennis Club as set by the City of Seattle.
“Member” as used herein included all individuals on a Family or Senior Membership.
1. Club Manager has authority over the activities of members and guests on AHSTC grounds.
2. Members and their guests must obey AHSTC staff at all times. AHSTC staff have the authority to forbid anyone to enter the facilities and to enforce the following disciplinary actions after a verbal warning has been issued and not adhered to:
• time out of the pool
• dismissal from facility or grounds
3. Checking In—All members must check in at the office upon entry of the facility during regular operating hours. Members must check in all of their guests by name. (See Guest Policy). If members are at the facility prior to regular operating hours (such as for team practice), they must return to the office and check in upon the facility opening for regular operating hours.
4. Guests—All guests must be accompanied by their host member and abide by these operating rules at all times.
5. Any damage occurring to club property anywhere on the grounds by members or members’ guests will be charged to the responsible (or host) member. There is no standing or jumping on furniture. Members will instruct their children to immediately report any vandalism they may witness.
6. No glass allowed anywhere in the facility.
7. Bicycles, rollerblades, skateboards, etc., are not allowed inside the facility. Bicycles can be locked up on the bike rack in the parking lot.
8. All members, their families and their guests will treat other members, guards, staff, coaches and volunteers in a respectful, sociable and friendly manner. Physically or verbally abusive behavior is unacceptable at all times. Members and their guests will refrain from publicly judging, criticizing, gossiping or otherwise creating a hostile environment for others. This includes engaging in negative humor or bantering that may intimidate, demean or offend another person.
9. Profanity, improper behavior and activities, and vulgar remarks are prohibited. Members will do their utmost to create a culture of dignity and respect that is free from harassment or intimidation. Bullying tactics by adults or children will not be tolerated. Please see Section 3 “Prohibited and Discouraged Behavior” of our Abuse and Molestation Policy and Procedures (AMPP) document for more detail.
10. No radios shall be used on the grounds except when connected to earphones or so that it is audible to the individual user only.
11. BBQs are provided as a membership convenience. Members should share BBQs with other members and their guests during peak times. BBQ's must be properly cleaned after use. Utensils are available in the kitchen and must be washed and put away after use. There is no kitchen “staff”, do not leave dishes in sink.
12. Members and Guests will share facilities properly. During periods of high demand, adults shall have priority use of tables and lounge chairs. Tables and lounge chairs that are not in continuous use may not be held for future use.
13. Adult Swim (weekends and Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day holidays)—no one under 18 years of age is allowed in the swimming pool during this time.
14. Early Bird Swim (weekday mornings) - Swimmers should be at least 13 years of age (and swimming laps) during early bird swim.
15. Open Swim Lap Lane—During open swim, the lap lane is used for swimming laps only. Lap swimmers under 18 years of age may use the lap lane during open swim as long as they are swimming laps and know how to share the lane with another lap swimmer.
16. Members and their guest will share facilities and property responsibly. When lounge chairs and tables are in heavy demand, adults shall have priority in their use.
17. No boys over the age of 6 are permitted in the women’s bathhouse. No girls over the age of 6 are permitted in the men’s bathhouse. Diaper changing tables are provided in both the men’s and women’s bathhouses and shall be used as appropriate.
18. For health and safety reasons, children under the age of 4 should remain clothed outside the bathhouse. In the event that a child is changed outside the bathhouse, it should be done discreetly and outside the viewing of the general membership.
19. Cell phones usage in the men’s and women’s bathhouse is strictly prohibited.
20. While alcohol is allowed on the grounds, it should be consumed discreetly and in moderation. Adults will keep in mind that by their behavior, they are setting an example not only for their own children but others and will behave accordingly. Members are responsible for the behavior of their guests.
21. Members and their guests will show respect for other people’s belongings. There is no “finders keepers” at the club. Immediately report lost items and turn in found items at the office. If a member temporarily steps away from their belongings to swim, play tennis, cook, etc., their belongings should not be removed from chairs or tables by another member or guest. If members leave the grounds, they must take their belongings with them. In instances where a member leaves their belongings on furniture and exits the grounds, it is at the manager’s discretion to remove the items for use of the furniture by other members that are present.
1. No pets are allowed in the facilities.
2. No smoking (including electronic cigarettes/vaping) is allowed in the facility or on the grounds.
3. To maintain water quality, all persons are requested to take a thorough soap shower before entering the pool.
4. Members will respect our environment, clean up after themselves and remind their children to do the same. Members and their guests must clean up after themselves in the kitchen, at the BBQs, at tables and surrounding areas. All garbage and recycling must be put into the appropriate containers. Large amounts of garbage and recycling must be taken out to the main dumpster in the parking lot. There are no wait staff or “maids” employed by the club so members and guests must take responsibility for presentation and sanitation at the club.
5. Admission will be refused to all persons with skin abrasions, colds, coughs, inflamed eyes, ear discharge, infections and those wearing bandages. No “Band-Aids” allowed in the pool.
6. Pollution of the pool is prohibited. Specifically, urinating, expectorating, blowing the nose, or depositing any foreign matter in either pool is prohibited.
7. Lifeguards have the right and responsibility to deny pool usage to babies and toddlers who are not using the appropriate undergarments (i.e. swim diapers) in the pool. Disposable swim diapers are available for sale in the office.
1. Running, wrestling, pushing, dunking, or other harmful acts of horseplay are prohibited. Walking only is required on any cemented areas of the grounds, except the tennis courts. Running on the grass areas is permitted. WALKING ON THE POOL DECK IS REQUIRED AT ALL TIMES.
2. Talking to a lifeguard on duty shall be restricted to necessary conversation.
3. Only one person is allowed on the diving board at one time.
4. Only one bounce is allowed on the diving board. Do not dive from the sides of the diving board. Divers (including children) may not dive into the arms of another person waiting in the water. Divers must immediately exit the dive tank via the closest side.
5. Flotation devices and goggles are prohibited on the diving boards.
6. No Backward diving or flips from the edge of the pool. No diving in the shallow end of the pool.
7. Do not swim in the dive tank area except when the boards are determined closed.
8. Water toys, such as noodles, may be used but may be restricted during high pool occupancy.
9. Playing with tennis balls is not allowed in the pool or on the pool deck.
10. Children under eight (8) years must be accompanied by an adult or registered caregiver always, anywhere in the facility, even if they have passed their Swim Test.
11. Patrons using swim aids and other flotation devices for the non-swimmer (such as water wings, seat rings, and lifejackets) or children less than 4 feet in height (armpit deep in the shallow end) who have not passed a swim test must be accompanied by an adult IN THE WATER AT ALL TIMES with a maximum ratio of 2 non-swimmers per adult. All non-swimmers must be within arm’s reach of the supervising adult at all times.
12. Hanging on the lane line is not allowed.
Children under 4ft in height must complete a swim test to enter the pool without being accompanied by an adult. At the discretion of a guard on duty, children over 4ft in height must complete a swim test to enter the dive tank. A swim test consists 25 yards of freestyle swimming without stopping. It is up to the discretion of the lifeguard or manager giving the swim test as to whether a child passes the swim test.
1. Only non-marking tennis shoes allowed on the tennis courts. NO BLACK OR LEATHER SOLES.
2. Proper tennis attire is recommended; appropriate footwear is required.
3. No food allowed on courts, including pop, gum or candy.
4. Sportsmanlike conduct is required at all times.
5. Playing time is limited to two sets or one hour. Please clear the court after that time if anyone is waiting to play.
6. Tennis courts are for playing tennis only. Tennis balls ONLY are allowed on the courts. No nerf, pickle, baseballs, soccer balls, etc.
7. Use of tennis key - Entrance gate is to be locked immediately after entering and leaving. Always secure a lock to the gate or fence. Never leave it unlocked. Keys belonging to the club can be rented by members and are to be used ONLY by the member and family. Tennis keys may only be used when the facility is closed. When the facility is open, all members must enter through the front gate. Violation of this policy can result in revocation of tennis key privileges.