ARBOR HEIGHTS SWIM AND TENNIS CLUB
Monitors use of swimming pools to enforce safety rules and rescue swimmers in distress. Teaching swimming lessons and water safety following a set lesson plan. The work requires knowledge of the basic principles, methods, practices and procedures of lifesaving, first aid, and water safety instruction.
1. Monitors the activities of swimmers to see that rules and regulations are observed and that safety hazards are corrected; warns swimmers of improper activities or hazards; assists handicapped and elderly patrons in and out of the pool.
2. Rescues persons in distress or in danger of drowning; administers first aid in the event of injury; participates in first aid and safety drills and staff orientation.
3. Assists in cleaning and maintaining the pool and related facilities; records pool temperature and chemical readings; monitors and cleans bathrooms, picks up litter from pool area and tennis courts, and places unclaimed items in lost and found.
4. Sets up ropes and other equipment for different types of swim sessions and swim meets.
5. Senior Guards may occasionally supervise the pool facilities in the absence of the Pool Manager.
This list of principal activities is not intended to be a complete list of specific duties and responsibilities.
Required to work schedule with varying hours (early mornings, nights, and weekends). Work is performed outside in prevailing weather conditions. Must be able to walk or stand for extended periods of time. Must be able to lift heavy objects and move heavy equipment. Required to follow safety precautions when exposed to caustic or corrosive pool chemicals or handling or moving pool equipment.
Applicant must be a minimum of 16 years of age by May 1.
Required Licensing and Certification:
1. American Red Cross First Aid Certification
2. American Red Cross CPR OR Red Cross Basic Life Support for the Professional Rescuer
3. Red Cross Advanced Lifesaving Certificate OR Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certificate
Optional Licensing and Certification:
1. American Red Cross Certificate Water Safety
2. Northwest Lifeguard Test Certification
3. Pool Operator Certification
All certifications must be current and on file prior to the 1st day of employment