Parent Volunteer Job Descriptions
At swim meets:
Info Table –Assist team families with any questions during the first two weeks of practice, Fridays and during meets, distribute and collect parent identification lanyards at meets. (Required: minimum of two years of TAZ swim team experience).
Check-In – Check in swimmers and report any absences to the coaches before the scratch session.
Ready Bench – Working jointly with the opposing team’s ready bench volunteers, organize swimmers in proper heats and lanes, and then assist swimmers get to the proper lane on time. Any family with a 10&Under swimmer is required to fill a minimum of one ready bench shift during the season.
Hospitality – Serve iced tea, lemonade, water and snacks to all volunteers working at the meet.
Snack Bar Manager of the Meet
Pick up supplies and change at Sandy Malaney’s home. Set up Snack Bar during designated meet setup in evening. Oversee and assist as Setup crew assigned to snack bar sets up the snack bar. Help set up tents, tables, coolers and icing the drinks. This job meets the 12 hour season requirement.
1.6:30 AM Pick up Donuts and Bagels at Safeway. Purchase cream for coffee and cream cheese for bagels. Pick up coffee at Starbucks across parking lot from Safeway.
2. Follow Health and Safety procedures (noted at snackbar) as we are required to abide by County safety guidelines.
3. Organize volunteers scheduled to work snack bar shifts. Volunteers must either handle food or money (not both). Breakfast burritos will arrive around 7 and Pizzas around 10 AM and every ½ hour until Manager decides we have enough.
4. Oversee that snackbar is kept clean, ie. garbage being taken out and boxes removed. Make sure sno cone machine has ice needed and drinks are replenished in cooler as needed.
5. Clean up-Manager is responsible for pack up of remaining items, garbage removed, and money is given to Sandy Malaney. TAZ Teardown Crew will take down tents, tables and return remaining items to the shed. Manager needs to make sure coffee and water Cambros/Containers are returned to Starbucks.
Ribbons – Adhere computer sticker with name, time, stroke and date on ribbons for all swimmers and file by name.
Stroke & Turn – Observe technical aspects of each entrant’s strokes. Judge turns, strokes, and starts. Attendance at a pre-season clinic is required.
Timer – One of a three-person team assigned to a specific lane to clock each swimmer using a stopwatch or Colorado system.
There are ways to fulfill your family volunteer hours outside of meets during the season.
Picture Day – Help line up swimmers for photographer and crowd control.
Spirit – Organize special events to promote “TEAM SPIRIT.” This includes organizing swimmers in painting signs and banners for swim meets, “Buddy Night,” “Pep Rally,” “Champs Parade,” and other spirit activities.
Champs – Each participating family must commit to serving a minimum number of hours (TBD) to help cover the team’s shifts at Championships Includes set-up, timers, ribbon processors, first aid station, pool deck supervision, ready bench, etc. Sign-ups will be available later in the season.
Laps for TAZ – The team’s major fund-raiser includes a swim-a-thon, dinner and usually a silent auction. Parents are needed for registration, auction, counting laps, cooking & serving dinner, and creating raffle baskets, etc.
Get involved! Volunteer sign-ups will be available through our website. Check the TAZ newsletter for news on other possible volunteer hours available throughout the swim season.
On-line Sign-up Procedure
To make the volunteer sign-up process easier for everyone, the board has implemented an easy to use website for this purpose. The TAZ Swim Team Volunteer Website can be accessed from the main team website at www.edhtaz.org
Use the following procedure:
1. Log into the team web site.
2. Look for events with the Job Signup button. Click "Job Signup" for any event at which you wish to volunteer.
3. Follow the system prompts
The website also keeps track of how many hours you have signed up for, if you are on the waiting list for an event and which events you have volunteered to work. Because the team needs your great ideas and talents, you can even suggest a new volunteer opportunity.