All parents are expected to volunteer weekly during the season. Each meets requires 25-30 parent volunteers to run. Additionally there are opportunities to volunteer outside of swim meets and at your schedule.
Specific tasks are outlined below. Take note of difficulty level (most are beginner) and which are suitable if you have young children.
Sign-up online to volunteer for each meet. Go to EVENT SCHEDULE at the top of this page, select which meet & click "Job Sign-up." This is the same way you enter a swimmer, except you click "Edit Commitment."
Stacie Mayfield is the Volunteer Coordinator for the 2019 season. Contact her with questions, to learn more about a role, or to sign up for roles not associated with a particular meet.
Parent Volunteer Roles:
- Timer (12- 6 for each half) (HEAD: Margo & Ron McIntire) Beginner position. Record times for one lane of swimmers using your own phone. (Download the Meet Central app). Attend briefing at 5:40 (prior to meet), and work ½ of meet. See every start & finish up close.
- Clerk of Course (4 - 2 each half) (HEAD: Janet Daniel and Amy Graham) Beginner position, can be done with small children. Organize swimmers into lanes in the clerk of course area. On the job training and work ½ of the meet.
- Stroke and Turn Judges (4- 2 for each half) (HEAD: John Webb) Requires prior training. Watch each event to ensure legal strokes and turns by swimmers. Attend briefing at 5:40 (prior to meet), and work ½ of meet. The best seat at every meet.
Home Meets Only
- Set Up (2- 5:00 - 6:00 PM) Beginner position. Especially good for parents in 8 and under group and can be done with small children. Set up pool deck, chairs, lane numbers, clerk of course area, starter/scoring tent & equipment. Please arrive no later than 5:00 PM.
- Clean Up (4- 9:30 - 10:00 PM) Beginner position. Best for parents of kids swimming late events. Can be done with small children. Clean up and put equipment away after the meet. Ensure pool deck is left tidy. Recruit friends and strangers to help as pool closes at 10.
- Relay and Sweeps (2 for each half) Intermediate position. One person during relays (events 1-7 during first half, and events 52,53, 60-62) to confirm legal take-offs of all relays. One person to identify finishing order of all races.
Not During Meets:
- Ribbons (3 each week Wed*6:30-7:30 PM) Beginner position. Can be done with small children and during your swimmer's practice. Place labels on ribbons and sort into folders during next day's PM practice.
- Fundraising (4 for season) (HEAD: Cindi Sandridge) Beginner position. Can be done with small children and at your schedule. Recruit local businesses as sponsors for next year, coordinate restaurant nights and the Belk fundraiser, and lead other fundraising ideas you wish to pursue.
- Yard Signs (2 for season) Beginner position. Can be done with small children and at your schedule. Starting mid June, collect the 11 yard signs from schools and parks, wash and inventory them and return them to team manager for storage. Also need volunteers to place yard signs next April.
- National Anthem (1 for season) Beginner position. Can be done with small children. Recruit and prepare swimmer(s) to perform National Anthem at 2 home meets and Champs. Arrive at home meet by 5:30 PM to respectfully display flag, prepare performance, and respectfully put flag away. Works with starter to ensure everyone is ready to perform at 5:55.
- Mending Shed Roof (2 for season) Beginner positions. Can be done at your schedule. Replace moldy plywood, and repair shingles and trim in the Westover Wave shed at Westover Pool. Material will be donated.
Season Long Roles All Meets:
- Scorekeeper (Paul Campbell or Pete Poirot) Enters swimmers into the software program and coordinates with opponents scorekeeper to create heat sheets. Track results using Meet Central Software. Work closely with other team’s scorekeeper to ensure a fair competition. Also prints ribbon labels at the end of the meet.
- Meet Director (Cyndi Gusler) Runs home meets by overseeing set up and clean up. Also works in coordination with the other team’s meet director to determine weather delays, resolve issues about events, and coordinate facilities
- Volunteer Coordinator (Stacie Mayfield) Recruit, educate and direct parent volunteers to their roles at meets.
Season Long Roles Home Meets Only:
- Starter (Ryan Corriston or JR Snow) Sets up the speaker system prior to meet in preparation for National Anthem at 5:55 pm. Announces the start of each race as well as general announcements. Ensure home meets run quickly and smoothly with clear communication and brisk turn around.
- Hospitality (Kathleen Johnson or Marcia Zook) Prepares water and cups prior to meet. Serve officials, coaches and volunteer water at regular intervals throughout the meet. Be a general source of information for visiting teams about the facilities and meet.