Welcome to the 2018 Westover Waves online registration!
Please read here for Important Dates, Eligibility, Costs, Orientation, & Practice Info.
The Westover Swimming Pool Complex will be renovated in the fall of 2018 so the summer swim season will not be affected. The pool will open for the summer over Memorial Day Weekend.
- Tuesday, April 24, 2018 -- Online registration begins for returning families only.
- Tuesday, May 1, 2018 -- Open online registration begins for all.
- Thursday, May 10, 5:00-6:30pm -- Onsite registration option @ Westover for anyone having difficulty online. Classroom A in the rec center.
- Monday, June 4th -- Late fees begin.
- Sunday, June 3rd, 1-3pm -- "SPLASH IN" kickoff event @ Westover Rec Center & Pool.
- CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER!!
- We will hold a parent meeting at 5:30 pm and again at 6:30 pm on Monday, June 4th to answer any questions and talk about the upcoming season. New swimmers that need to be assessed with have assessments at 6 pm.
- Check this space for weather updates during the first week of practice. Once your child is registered you should begin to receive email updates. We will also discuss how to get text updates via the OnDeck app during our parent meeting.
- Monday, June 4-Friday, June 8, Normal Evening Practice at Westover Pool.
- 6-6:45pm, Ages 8 & Under.
- 7-8pm, Ages 9-12.
- 7-8:30pm, Ages 12-18.
- Monday through Friday, June 11-15 -- Normal practice schedule begins at Westover.
- AM practices begin.
- 7-8:30am, Ages 9 and older. Every weekday except Wednesdays.
- PM practices continue.
- 6-6:45pm, Ages 8 & Under.
- 7-8pm, Ages 9-12.
- 7-8:30pm, Ages 12-18.
- Thursday, June 14 -- Registration closes.
- Age. Swimmers may not be older than 18 years on Friday, June 1, 2018. Age groups will be determined by each swimmer's age on June 1 -- 6 & Under, 8 & Under, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-18.
- Assessments. Swimmers must be able to swim one length of the pool (25 yards) completely unassisted. Due to our team size, this requirement is strictly enforced. Assessments are made by our adult coaches, with help from our junior coaches in the water for safety. Our adult coaches have extensive experience & expertise. They know what is required to participate & they are ideally prepared to decide whether your child is ready for a positive swim experience, so their decisions are final. You have several opportunities for swim assessments, which may take up to 45 minutes.
- Almost. Sometimes children are scared, or nervous the first time out. If your child failed in their first attempt, they are welcome to try one more time on another day; but only once more because we do not want a child who is simply not ready to feel bad after trying their best.
- If a child fails to qualify, you will receive a full refund (minus online bank convenience charge) & the child is certainly welcome to try again next year. Also, there are excellent swim lessons offered separately throughout the summer by the City of Harrisonburg Parks & Recreation. No appointment is necessary; simply inquire at the lifeguard desk. For more information: https://www.harrisonburgva.gov/faq-swim-lessons.
- REGISTRATION. $90 per swimmer & $275 family maximum. All fees must be paid prior to any team activity, including assessments. These fees pay coaches ($60 per swimmer), league fees ($14) & other necessary expenses (e.g., ribbons, awards, printer ink, etc.). PLEASE NOTE: If the $90 rate would create a financial hardship on your family, do not despair. Please see SCHOLARSHIPS below. Registration fees are due no later than each swimmer's first practice.
DONATION. Although the City of Harrisonburg supports our team with free facilities use, we are a not-for-profit, tax-exempt organization, ID # 54-1953881, led by parent volunteers. Please, if your family is able, would you consider rounding up your contribution to an even $100 per swimmer? Thank you.
- LATE FEE. Beginning Monday, June 4th, $10 per swimmer & $25 family maximum.
- PAYMENT. By choosing to pay onlline, you accept the non-refundable, online bank convenience charge. You may pay by check made out to WESTOVER WAVES SWIM TEAM & mailed to: Westover Waves Swim Team, 1830 Manor Drive, Harrisonburg, VA 22801. You may pay by check or cash in person at the on-site registration, at swim assessments, at "Splash In" kickoff event on Sunday, June 3rd. Registration fees are due no later than each swimmer's first practice.
- REFUNDS. Upon registration, a swimmer has committed to team participation & refunds will not be administered. However, if a swimmer has been assessed as ineligible, then a full refund (minus online bank convenience fee) is made promptly. Fees are NOT pro-rated after the season begins.
- SCHOLARSHIPS. Thanks to the generosity of our Waves families and sponsors we were able to award scholarships to six swimmers this season.
The following are OPTIONAL costs w/ third parties, not the Westover Waves.
- ONLINE BANK FEE. The amount the online bank convenience charge, which we pass along to you, is 30 cents per transaction plus 2.95% of the total. For example, the online convenience charge on a single swimmer registration fee would be $2.81; on a rounded up $100 payment, $3.25. This charge is non-refundable. To avoid this bank fee, please see PAYMENT below.
- SWIMSUITS. This year we have decided to have families order the team swimsuit individually through swimoutlet.com. We have chosen the Sporti Light Wave suit which is available in boys and mens jammers as well as girls and womens one-piece suit. Please use the following links to order your suit. Team swimsuits are not required, just recommended. PLEASE BE SURE TO ORDER COLOR BLUE!
- GOGGLE, KICK BOARDS & SWIM FINS. While we have a few on hand to share, swimmers are encouraged to have their own if possible, but it is OPTIONAL. You may purchase these items anywhere, but feel free to ask coaches if you have any questions. Lost, or broken goggles are a common problem, so the Team Manager keeps some in the shed for $5 each.
- POOL ACCESS. All swim families may access the pool free for practices & meets ONLY by simply identifying yourself w/ the Westover Waves at the lifeguard desk. No swimming is allowed during meets.
- POOL PASS. For swimming during other times, the city Parks & Recreation offers a Summer Family Pass is $70 for residents, $90 for non-residents, entirely separate from the Westover Waves swim team. Of course, this is OPTIONAL. You may purchase a pass at the lifeguard desk. For more information: https://www.harrisonburgva.gov/swimming-pool#hours-fees.
Summer swim team is an intensive two-months of activity for the whole family. Swimmers swim, parents volunteer & siblings tag along. You have many questions, most of which the website answers.
Family orientation is a 'meet & greet' for your family & our coaches, the core of our program. Parents hear from & have Q&A with our head coaches, our other adult coaches & our dozen junior coaches, who will occupy swimmers with fun, team-building activities.
- Sunday, June 3rd, 1-1:30pm -- Family Orientation @ Westover Rec Center.
"SPLASH IN" Sunday, June 3rd, 1-3pm
This is our annual kickoff event in both the Westover Rec Center & the Westover Pool. It's fun because everyone is excited with anticipation for the summer season. It's beneficial because everyone gets pre-season tasks completed at one time. It's great because friends reacquaint & remember fun times. You may even get lucky & win the 50/50 raffle prize!
- 1-3pm --
- Receive swimmers' t-shirts & swim caps.
- Purchase 50/50 Raffle Tickets
- Pay registration fees to avoid online bank charge.
- Pick-up pre-ordered Waves Wear apparel & new promotional items, purchase, or order.
- Buy a Summer Family Pass on Westover Pool's first official day of summer.
- 1-1:30pm -- Family Orientation, a 'meet & greet' for families & coaches.
- 1:30-3pm -- Swim assessments for newcomers only.
That's a lot of information, but it should cover everything to JOIN THE TEAM! If you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns. Please contact Team Managers Tammy Brown or Teresa Hulleman at email@example.com. Thank you!
This is going to be fun!