Please read here for Important Dates, Eligibility, Costs, & Orientation.
COVID-19 UPDATE: The Valley Swim League has canceled Champs and in-person dual meets for the 2020 summer season. Due to this, and the current timeline and restrictions for reopening Westover Pool, the Westover Waves will not be holding a swim season this summer. We will miss seeing all of our swimmers and their families! Please stay safe and we hope to see everyone again next summer.
- Friday, May : Online registration available for returning swimmers and their family.
- Friday, May : Online registration available to the public.
- Monday, June and Tuesday, June : New swimmer assessments only. 6-7:30 pm.
- Wednesday, June - Friday, June : Evening practice for all swimmers.
7-8:30pm Ages 13+
7:30-8:30 pm Ages 11-12
6:45-7:45 pm Ages 9-10
6:00-6:45 pm Ages 8 & Under
6:00-7:00 pm, swim assessments continue all week for newcomers only
- Check this space for weather updates during the first week of practice. Once your child is registered you should begin to receive email updates. We will also discuss how to get text updates via the OnDeck app during our parent meeting
- Monday, June -- All AM & PM regular practice schedule.
- AM practices begin.
- 7-8:30am, Every weekday except Wednesdays for swimmers ages 10+.
- PM practices continue.
- 6:00-6:45 pm Ages 8 & Under
- 6:45-7:45 pm Ages 9-10
- 7:30-8:30 pm Ages 11-12
- 7-8:30pm Ages 13+
- Saturday, June -- Registration closes.
- Age. Swimmers may not be older than 18 years on Monday, June 1, 2020. Age groups will be determined by each swimmer's age on June 1 -- 6 & Under, 8 & Under, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-18.
- Assessments. Swimmers must be able to swim one length of the pool (25 yards) completely unassisted. Due to our team size, this requirement is strictly enforced. Assessments are made by our adult coaches, with help from our junior coaches in the water for safety. Our adult coaches have extensive experience & expertise. They know what is required to participate & they are ideally prepared to decide whether your child is ready for a positive swim experience, so their decisions are final. You have several opportunities for swim assessments, which may take up to 45 minutes:
- Almost. Sometimes children are scared, or nervous the first time out. If your child failed in their first attempt, they are welcome to try one more time on another day; but only once more because we do not want a child who is simply not ready to feel bad after trying their best.
- If a child fails to qualify, you will receive a full refund (minus online bank convenience charge) & the child is certainly welcome to try again next year. Also, there are excellent swim lessons offered separately throughout the summer by the City of Harrisonburg Parks & Recreation. No appointment is necessary; simply inquire at the lifeguard desk. For more information: https://www.harrisonburgva.gov/faq-swim-lessons.
- REGISTRATION. $100 for the 1st swimmer, $190 for 2 swimmers, $280 for 3 swimmers, & $325 family maximum. All fees must be paid prior to any team activity, including assessments. These fees pay coaches ($70 per swimmer), league fees ($14), Champs fee ($5 per swimmer) & other necessary expenses (e.g., ribbons, awards, printer ink, etc.). PLEASE NOTE: If the $100 rate would create a financial hardship on your family, please see SCHOLARSHIPS below. Registration fees are due no later than each swimmer's first practice.
- DONATION. Although the City of Harrisonburg supports our team with free facilities use, we are a not-for-profit, tax-exempt organization, ID # 54-1953881, led by parent volunteers. Please, if your family is able, would you consider donating an extra $10 per swimmer? Thank you.
- T-SHIRT. We want every swimmer to have a t-shirt so we will be soliciting corporate sponsors to offset the cost.
- SWIM CAP. One size fits all silicone swim caps w/ the Westover Waves logo are provided FREE to all swimmers if we have enough corporate sponsors. If you are interested in being a corporate sponsor contact Tammy Brown or Teresa Hulleman at [email protected]
- PAYMENT. By choosing to pay onlline, you accept the non-refundable, online bank convenience charge. You may pay by check made out to WESTOVER WAVES SWIM TEAM & mailed to: Westover Waves Swim Team, 1830 Manor Drive, Harrisonburg, VA 22801. You may pay by check, or cash in person at swim assessments. Registration fees are due no later than each swimmer's first practice.
- REFUNDS. Upon registration, a swimmer has committed to team participation & refunds will not be administered. However, if a swimmer has been assessed as ineligible, then a full refund (minus online bank convenience fee) is made promptly. Fees are NOT pro-rated after the season begins.
- SCHOLARSHIPS. Westover Waves provides scholarships to help eligible youth on a first-come, funding, and space available basis. Children must receive government assistance (e.g., free or reduced lunch, housing/child care/medical assistance). If you qualify for a scholarship please bring documentation of participation in these programs to one of our onsite registration days and pay the reduced fee amount ($25). Scholarship requests must be requested prior to June 2nd in order to be considered. Contact Tammy Brown or Teresa Hulleman at [email protected] if you have any questions
The following are OPTIONAL costs w/ third parties, not the Westover Waves.
- ONLINE BANK FEE. The amount the online bank convenience charge, which we pass along to you, is 30 cents per transaction plus 2.95% of the total. For example, the online convenience charge on a single swimmer registration fee would be $3.25. This charge is non-refundable. To avoid this bank fee, please see PAYMENT above.
- SWIMSUITS. Team swimsuits are not required, just recommended. Families order the team swimsuit individually through swimoutlet.com. We have chosen the Sporti Light Wave suit which is available in boys and men’s jammers as well as girls and women’s one-piece suit. Please use the following links to order your suit. PLEASE BE SURE TO ORDER COLOR BLUE!
- GOGGLE, KICK BOARDS & SWIM FINS. While we have a few on hand to share, swimmers are encouraged to have their own if possible, but it is OPTIONAL. You may purchase these items anywhere, but feel free to ask coaches if you have any questions. Lost, or broken goggles are a common problem, so the Team Manager keeps some in the shed for $5 each.
- POOL ACCESS. All swim families may access the pool free for practices & meets ONLY by simply identifying yourself w/ the Westover Waves at the lifeguard desk. No swimming is allowed during meets.
- POOL PASS. For swimming during other times, the city Parks & Recreation offers a Summer Family Pass is $70 for residents, $90 for non-residents, entirely separate from the Westover Waves swim team. Of course, this is OPTIONAL. You may purchase a pass at the lifeguard desk. For more information: https://www.harrisonburgva.gov/swimming-pool#hours-fees.
That's a lot of information, but it should cover everything to JOIN THE TEAM! If you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns. Please contact Tammy Brown or Teresa Hulleman at [email protected]. Thank you!
This is going to be fun!