GSC Action Plan to Address Bullying
Bullying of any kind is unacceptable and there is a zero-tolerance policy in place for this type of behavior. Bullying is counterproductive to the culture that we have created at Gators Swim Club as we are committed to providing a friendly and safe environment for our athletes. Parents and swimmers should understand that incidents of bullying will be dealt with promptly, swiftly and efficiently.
Bullying is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school-aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behavior is repeated, or has the potential to be repeated, over time. Bullying includes actions such as making threats, spreading rumors, attacking someone physically or verbally, and excluding someone from a group on purpose.
There are many roles that kids can play. Kids can bully others, they can be bullied, or they may witness bullying. When kids are inolved in bullying, they often play more than one role. Sometimeskids may both be bullied and bully others or they may witness otehr kids being bullied. It is important to understand the multiple roles kids play in order to effectively prevent and respond to bullying.
How We Will Handle Bullying
When coaches respond quickly and consistently to bullying behavior they send the message that it is not acceptable. Research shows this can stop bullying behavior over time. There are simple steps coaches can take to stop bullying on the spot and keep kids safe:
- Intervene immediately. It is okay to get another coach to help.
- Separate the kids involved.
- Make sure everyone is safe.
- Meet any immediate medical or mental health needs.
- Stay calm. Reassure the kids involved, including bystanders.
- Model respectful behavior when a coach intervenes.
Finding out what happened
- Keep all the involved children separate.
- Get the story from several sources, both adults and kids.
- Listen without blaming.
- Don't call the act "bullying" while you are trying to understand what happened.
Supporting the Kids Involved
All kids involved in bullying--whether they are bullied, bully others, or see bullying--can be affected. It is important to support all kids involved to make sure they bullying doesn't continue and effects can be minimized.
- A prompt, swift and efficient resolution will be put in place once all sides of the story have been heard.
- While the resoultion is taking place , all parties involved may be suspended from participation to maintain a safe environment for other members of the club.
- The resolution will ultimately be final once the Director of teh Gators Swim Club has made a final decision.
Once the final decision has been reached, all parties involved will be notified and appropriate action will follow that can include up to dismissal from the Club.