Junior STAR's Criteria:
Age Standard :
9-14 years of age.
Time Standard Requirement:
Junior Stars-3 red times for their age group.
Blazing Stars-3 Red times for their age group.
Training Time per Week:
4-5 sessions / 1 1/2 hours each (min of 4 days a week is mandatory)
Dry-land: 2 days / 20-30 min if available.
3,000-5,000 yards daily
- Concentrated training around 500 Free and 200 IM
- Increased volume and intensity training
- Begin to specialize
- Perfect technique and skills
- Strength and flexibility program (dry-land exercises)
- Transfer power into swimming performance
- Maintain attendance goals (min of 5 days a week)
Motor Learning Objectives:
- Refine stroke technique during all speeds and intensity of swimming
- Adapt to diverse training methods
- Apply strength and power to swimming performance
- Specialize in strokes and competition distances-experimenting with 200-yard strokes and 1000+ yard frees
- Retain range of motion and muscular coordination at all swimming speeds
- Refine race skills, starts, turns, tactics, and pace etc.
- Learn to rest for peak performance for Invite and JO events
Knowledge, Attitudes, Competition Objectives:
- Enjoyment of the process (goal setting) and product (attainment of goals) of swimming
- Understanding and practicing performance management skills such as nutrition, warm-up and cool-down strategies, mental skills etc.
- Become independent: take on responsibility of working with the coaches and taking responsibility for self
- Improve personal skills including education and vocational objectives
- Attend Club Age Group meets and ALL scheduled Senior team meets if qualified
- Attain sectional and National times
- Selection of events begins to focus on stroke and distance
- Race skills and mental skills are perfected
- Prepare swimmers to adapt to the demands required for the Senior Group
Required Equipment and Apparel:
- STAR Cap - Required at all meets
- STAR Speedo Team Suit - wear only to meets
- STAR Speedo Warm-ups
- front end snorkel
- Pull Buoy