Unless specified as a Team Travel Event parents/guardians are responsible for transporting their swimmers to and from meets and events. If parents/guardians are unable to attend it is up to the family to make arrangements with another swimmer’s family to transport their child. Financial contributions/reimbursement should be agreed upon prior to travel.
Club travel policies must be signed and agreed to by all athletes, parents, coaches and other adults traveling with the club.
Team Travel Policy for Black Hills Gold Swimming
Purpose: Athletes are most vulnerable to misconduct during travel, particularly overnight stays. This includes a high risk of athlete-to-athlete misconduct. During travel, athletes are often away from their families and support networks, and the setting – new changing areas, locker rooms, workout facilities, automobiles and hotel rooms – is less structured and less familiar.
Team Travel is defined as overnight travel to a swim meet or other team activity that is planned and supervised by the club.
Section 1 - USA Swimming Required Policies
- Club travel policies must be signed and agreed to by all athletes, parents, coaches and other adults traveling with the club.
- Team managers and chaperones must be members of USA Swimming and have successfully passed a USA Swimming-administered criminal background check.
- Regardless of gender, a coach shall not share a hotel room or other sleeping arrangement with an athlete (unless the coach is the parent, guardian, sibling, or spouse of that particular athlete).
- When only one athlete and one coach travel to a competition, the athlete must have his/her parents’ (or legal guardian’s) written permission in advance to travel alone with the coach.
Section 2 – Black Hills Gold Additional Policies
a. During team travel, when doing room checks, attending team meetings and/or other activities, two-deep leadership and open and observable environments should be maintained. If only one chaperone is attending he/she will never be alone with an athlete (unless the chaperone is the parent, guardian, sibling, or spouse of that particular athlete).
b. Athletes should not ride in a coach’s vehicle without another adult present who is the same gender as the athlete, unless prior parental permission is obtained.
c. During overnight team travel, if athletes are paired with other athletes they shall be of the same gender and should be a similar age. Where athletes are age 13 & over, chaperones and/or team managers would ideally stay in nearby rooms. When athletes are age 12 & under, chaperones and/or team managers may stay with athletes. Where chaperones/team managers are staying in a room with athletes, they should be the same gender as the athlete and written consent should be given by athlete’s parents (or legal guardian).
- When only one athlete and one coach travel to a competition, at the competition the coach and athlete should attempt to establish a “buddy” club to associate with during the competition and when away from the venue.
- To ensure the propriety of the athletes and to protect the staff, there will be no male athletes in female athlete’s rooms and no female athletes in male athlete’s rooms (unless the other athlete is a sibling or spouse of that particular athlete).
- A copy of the Club Code of Conduct must be signed by the athlete and his/her parent or legal guardian.
- Team officials should obtain a signed Liability Release and/or Indemnification Form for each athlete.
- Team officials should carry a signed Medical Consent or Authorization to Treat Form for each athlete.
- Curfews shall be established by the team staff each day of the trip.
- Team members and staff traveling with the team will attend all team functions including meetings, practices, meals, meet sessions, etc. unless otherwise excused or instructed by the head coach or his/her designee.
- The directions & decisions of coaches/chaperones are final.
- Swimmers are expected to remain with the team at all times during the trip. Swimmers are not to leave the competition venue, the hotel, a restaurant, or any other place at which the team has gathered without the permission/knowledge of the coach or chaperone.
- When visiting public places such as shopping malls, movie theatres, etc. swimmers will stay in groups of no less than three persons. 12 & Under athletes will be accompanied by a chaperone.
- The Head Coach or his/her designee shall make a written report of travel policy or code of conduct violations to Black Hills Gold Swimming and the parent or legal guardian of any affected minor athlete.
- Specific information regarding this trip is outlined, agreed upon and attached to this form.
Section 3 – General Guidelines
- Additional guidelines to be established as needed by the coaches;
- Respect the privacy of each other;
- Only use hotel rooms with interior entrances; and
- Must wear seat belts and remain seated in vehicles;
- Be quiet and respect the rights of teammates and others in hotel;
- Be prompt and on time;
- Cell phone usage guidelines and computer use guidelines including social media may be established;
- Respect travel vehicles;
- Use appropriate behavior in public facilities;
- Establish two different curfews – in own rooms and lights out;
- Must stay in assigned hotel room; and
- Needs and wellbeing of the team come first.
- Swimmers responsible for all incidental charges;
- Swimmers responsible for any damages or thievery at hotel;
- Must participate in contracted group meals; and
- Communicate travel reimbursement information and policies.
- There may be eligibility requirements;
- There may be age guidelines for travel trips;
- Parent(s) are responsible for getting swimmer(s) to stated departure point on time and for retrieving swimmers promptly when trip is over
Code of Conduct / Honor Code
All team members, team staff, and parents of minors are apprised in writing of this Code of Conduct and the attached USA Swimming Code of Conduct. A signature on this document constitutes unconditional agreement to comply with the stipulations of both documents.
- Team members will display proper respect and sportsmanship toward coaches, officials, administrators, teammates, fellow competitors and the public at all times.
- Team members and staff will refrain from any illegal or inappropriate behavior that would detract from a positive image of the team or be detrimental to its performance objectives.
- The possession or use of alcohol or tobacco products by any athlete is prohibited.
- The possession, use, or sale/distribution of any controlled or illegal substance or any form of weapon is strictly forbidden.
- No “deck changes” are permitted. Athletes are expected to use available change facilities.
- Team members are reminded that when competing in meets, traveling on trips, and attending other meet-related functions, they are representing both themselves and the Black Hills Gold team. Athlete behavior must positively reflect the high standards of the club.
- Swimmers are to refrain from inappropriate physical contact at team activities and events.
- Swimmers are to refrain from use of inappropriate language.
- Failure to comply with the Honor Code as set forth in this document may result in disciplinary action. Such discipline may include, but may not be limited to:
- Dismissal from the trip and immediate return home at the athlete’s expense;\
- Disqualification from future team travel;
- Dismissal from the team; and/or
- Other disciplinary action as agreed up by Black Hills Gold Board and parents/guardian of swimmer
Specific information relating to the trip: _____________________________________________
Purpose of Trip: _______________________________________________________
I have read the Travel Policy and understand the policy, guidelines, who the chaperones are and the requirements of the athlete, parents and chaperones.
Parent Signature: _____________________________________________ Date: _____________
Athlete Signature: ____________________________________________ Date: _____________
Coach/Chaperone Signature: ____________________________________ Date: _____________
*Attached is (1) Medical Release Form, Permission to Travel, Permission to Treat, and (2) USA Swimming Liability Release
Medical Release Form For Team Travel/Permission to Travel With Minor Letter
Name of Swimmer ____________________________________________ Date _______________
I ____________________ (parent/guardian) understand that my child will be traveling to __________________ for the purpose of _____________________________beginning ______________and returning to my care ______________________. As my child’s guardian I consent to this trip.
Parents Signature Witness
Parental Concent/Medical Release
I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, _______________________________ (name of swimmer) is in good physical condition and has no condition which would impair participation in our travel. In case of minor emergency (cuts, scratches, headaches, etc), I give permission to the coaches or chaperones to treat as they deem necessary, In case of more serious injury or emergency, I hereby give the Black Hill Gold Swim Team and its coaching staff and chaperones permission to act on my behalf in seeking medical treatment from any licensed physician, hospital or clinic for my child in the even that such treatment is deemed necessary. I give permission to those administrating medical treatment to do so using methods deemed necessary. I absolve Black Hills Gold Swim team and its coaching staff, chaperones, and volunteers from all liability while acting on my behalf in this regard.
Participant Signature (if over the age of 18) Parent/Guardian Signature
Home Phone Parents Daytime or Cell Phone
If parents are not available, please call the person designated below:
Name:____________________________________ Address: _________________________
City/State/Zip: _____________________________ Phone: __________________________
Additional comments regarding medical history, allergies, asthma, prescriptions, drug reaction, blood type, etc……….which may be needed in rendering medical treatment:
Parent/Guardian Insurance Information:
Company Name: _____________________________ Policy #: ___________________________
Address: ___________________________________ Phone: ____________________________
To the attending physician or hospital:
Permission is hereby granted for you a the discretion of the coaches or chaperones of Black Hills Gold Swimming to perform whatever care is necessary for the welfare of my child until such time as you are able to reach me personally.
Parents Signature: _____________________________ Date: ______________________________
LIABILITY RELEASE AND INDEMNIFICATION FORM FOR MINOR TRAVEL
I, the undersigned participant and parent, request voluntary participation for minor to travel to and
from USA Swimming events for the dates from ____________ , 20____ through ____________ ,20____.
I consent to my/minor’s participation in traveling to and from USA Swimming events and acknowledge
that the I fully understand my/minor’s participation in travel may involve risk of serious injury or
death, including losses which may result not only from my/minor’s own actions, inactions or
negligence, but also from the actions, inactions, or negligence of others. This includes all travel to and
from the event arranged by USA Swimming, including but not limited to all transportation being plane,
boat, train, van, car, airline and/or chartered plane paid either by the participant or travel paid or
reimbursed by USA Swimming. I understand that if I have any risk concerns regarding travel, I
should discuss the risks associated with my/minor’s participation with the activity coordinators and
event staff, before I sign this document and before travel begins.
Release – Minor’s Rights:
In consideration of allowing Minor Participant to travel to and from USA Swimming events, I hereby
release and hold harmless USA Swimming, members of its board of directors, and its officers,
employees, members, volunteers, other participants, and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”),
of and from, and do discharge and waive, any and all claims, demands, losses, damages, and
liabilities that Minor Participant may have or sustain with respect to any and all damage and/or injury,
of any type, arising out of his or her travel to USA Swimming events. I also agree that if any portion
of this agreement is held to be invalid the balance, notwithstanding, shall continue in full force and
______________________ _____________________________ _____________
(Print name of minor) (Signature of minor) (Date)
Release – Parents’/Guardians’ Rights:
In consideration of allowing Minor Participant to travel to and from USA Swimming events, I hereby
release and hold harmless the Released Parties, of and from, and do discharge and waive, any and all
claims, demands, losses, damages, and liabilities that I may have or sustain with respect to any and
all damage and/or injury, of any type, arising from Minor Participant’s travel to and from USA
Swimming events. I also agree that if any portion of this agreement is held to be invalid the balance,
notwithstanding, shall continue in full force and effect.
I certify that my/minor is in good health and have no physical condition that would prevent traveling
to and from any USA Swimming events. Furthermore, I agree to use my/minor’s personal medical
insurance as a primary medical coverage payment if accident or injury occurs. I consent to
emergency medical treatment in the event such care is required.
______________________ _____________________________ __________
(Print name of Parent/Guardian) (Signature of parent/guardian (Date)
Indemnification by Parent/Guardian:
The undersigned parent/guardian further agrees to indemnify, save and hold harmless the Released
Parties from any and all claims, demands, losses, damages and liabilities for indemnities, contribution
or otherwise with respect to any damage and/or injury, of any type, arising from Minor Participant’s
travel to and from USA Swimming events.
_______________________ ___________________________ ____________
(Print name of Parent/Guardian) (Signature of parent/guardian) (Date)