WAKE AQUATICS HEALTH & WELLNESS RE-ENTRY PROTOCOL
Center for Disease Control and Prevention
There is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can be spread to people through the water in pools, hot tubs, spas, or water play areas. Proper operation and maintenance (including disinfection with chlorine and bromine) of these facilities should inactivate the virus in water.
A Message From USA Swimming
We believe swimming, like walking, hiking, running, and cycling, is a critical healthy activity within our communities. Swimming does not require contact between teammates or coaches and distancing can be maintained throughout practice. As with all exercise and activity at this time, swimming must comply with standards for social distancing and safety within aquatic facilities. We know, with collaboration between USA Swimming coaches, public health officials, and facility operators we can create safe plans for using aquatic facilities to promote physical and mental health opportunities compliant with public health directives. The CDC has indicated that there is no evidence the disease spreads though treated water. Proper operation and maintenance (including disinfection with chlorine and bromine) of these facilities should inactivate the virus in the water.
Effective May 11, 2020
- Lane reservation. A schedule will be established for practices that will control the number of people present in the facility to meet Alabama and Jefferson County social distancing guidelines.
- Number of Participants. Based on current Alabama and CDC policy, a set number of swimmers per practice session will be identified and enforced – charts for pool spacing are attached.
Entry and Exit Protocols
- Locker rooms will be closed. Athletes must arrive with their swimsuits on.
- Athletes may not enter the facility early.
- All individuals must use PPE at all times while in the building with the exception of athletes who may remove PPE immediately prior to and during practice.
- Athletes will enter and exit through designated areas.
- Entries and exits will be marked with signs reminding all individuals to maintain appropriate safety protocols
- Athletes and coaches will be surveyed entering the facility. If they are symptomatic in any way, the athlete or coach will not be permitted to enter the facility. Symptoms include mild to severe respiratiory illness with fever, cough and difficulty breathing, or other symptoms identified by the CDC.
- Athletes must leave with swimsuit on.
- Athletes may not use water fountains
- Athletes must shower at home.
- Athletes may not congregate after practice.
- One parent per swim family may enter the facility if the space is large enough to maintain social distancing
- Parents must maintain proper social distancing protocol and, depending on facility rules, may be required to use PPE.
- Parents may not use locker rooms or water fountains.
- Parents who do not enter the building may not exit their cars and congregate in the parking lot.
PPE For Coaches and Staff
Wake Aquatics will
- Provide coaches with appropriate PPE equipment and
- Provide coaches with up-to-date education and training on COVID-19 risk factors and protective behaviors (e.g. cough etiquette and care of PPE).
PPE will be
- Consistently and properly worn when required
- Regularly inspected, maintained, and replaced, as necessary, and
- Properly removed, cleaned, and stored or disposed of, as applicable, to avoid contamination of self, others, or the environment.
Preparing to Swim
- Swimmers and coaches must wash their hands with a disinfectant soap and water or use a hand sanitizer if soap and water are not readily available, upon entering the facility.
- Swimmers may not share equipment.
- Swimmers must bring a full water bottle labeled with his/her name. Water fountains will not be accessible to anyone.
- Swimmers must use their personal equipment only
- Avoid touching gates, fences, benches, etc… if possible.
- Swimmers must maintain 6’ distance between each other.
- Swimmers and coaches must follow directions for spacing and stay at least six feet apart. On-deck instruction and discussions are prohibited if appropriate distancing is not maintained in doing so.
- All parties on deck must not make physical contact with others, such as shaking hands, or giving a high five.
- Athletes must avoid sharing drinks or towels.
- Athletes and coaches must maintain social distancing when taking a break.
- Athletes/coaches who being to cough/sneeze for any reason, must move away from the others until coughing/sneezing dissipates.
- The number of practice sessions per week for each group is dependent on Wake Aquatics and its agreement with the facility.
- Social distancing layouts – see layouts attached in USA Swimming Facility Re-Opening Messaging and Planning.
The pool water is constantly being disinfected by chlorine, but extra disinfecting of items outside of the pool, such as door handles (inside and outside), handrails and pool ladders will be maintained.