Fort Hood Area Dolphins Practice Groups
Entry requirements and expectations for each of our four practice groups: Developmental, Bronze, Silver and Gold.
Fort Hood Area Dolphins Program Structures and Progression
DEVELOPMENTAL: Developing Level Swimmers (Practice Schedule: M-F 5:15-6:15 p.m.)
Developmental: Entry and expectations:
Swimmers at this level will normally swim at least three days a week, but are invited to swim M-F:
1. Be able to swim 25 yards without stopping.
2. Be able to swim backstroke and freestyle.
3. Be able to blow bubbles (rhythmic breathing).
4. Be able to swim with a side-breath, not lifting head out of water to breathe.
5. Have an idea of what breaststroke and butterfly stroke are.
BRONZE: Developing Level Swimmers (Practice Schedule: M-F 5:15-7:00 p.m.)
Bronze-Level 1: Entry and expectations:
Swimmers at this level will swim at least three days a week: M-W-F, but are invited to swim M-F
1. Be able to perform all skills from the Developmental group.
2. Float on surface (must show good body position) on front and back.
3. Good streamline position, must be able to kick 25 yards in streamline position on front and back.
4. Be able to breathe every 3 (alternate breathing) on free, hips on surface and have a steady kick.
5. Be able to perform a freestyle turn.
6. Be able to swim 200 meters without stopping.
7. Improve freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly strokes
Bronze-Level 2: Swimmers at this level typically are expected to swim Monday - Friday
Level 2: Entry
1. All strokes legal (fly and breast timing can be off, but stroke is legal)
2. Pass dive progression (be able to dive off blocks into 4.5 feet of water)
3. Can read the clock, understand simple intervals and get times.
4. Perform legal turns, breakouts and finishes for all strokes.
Level 2: Expectations
1. Compete at meets.
2. The ability to attend at least 3 days a week
4. Learn how to scull
5. Working towards IMR
SILVER: Mid Level Competitive Swimmers (Practice Schedule: M-F 5:15-7:00 p.m. / Sat. 8:30-10:00 a.m Silver 2). Silver 1 swimmers are expected to swim Monday - Friday
Level 1: Entry
1. Be able to perform all skill sets of Bronze Levels
2. All strokes legal
3. Must perform interval training
4. Performance (from 1800 - 2500 meters on average per session)
5. Working to perfect strokes and technique
6. Working to achieve IMR
Level 1: Expectations
1. Working towards B and BB times
2. Attend at least three meets per season not including championship meets.
3. Consistent attendance – 4 practices per week.
4. Learn Stroke counts and rates, learn how to pace.
5. Working towards IMX
Level 2: Entry
1. All strokes legal
2. Streamline off walls
3. Train with stroke counts
4. Complete sets as required.
5. Desire to improve technique, train smart with more distance in intensity.
6. Performance (from 2000-3000 meters on average per session)
Level 2: Expectations
1. Train smart with higher intensity levels
2. Achieve B/ BB times, working towards A times.
3. Monthly attendance at 80% and attend dry-land training.
4. Be an example to other team members, encourage and help your teammates.
5. Set goals and accept challenges.
6. Working towards IMX
GOLD: Advanced Competitive Swimmers (Practice Schedule: M-W-F 5:15-7:00 p.m; T & Th 5:15 - 7:30 pm; Sat. 8:30-10:00 a.m.) Gold swimmers are expected to swim Monday - Saturday
1. Train smart.
2. Monthly attendance at 90% and attend dry-land training.
3. Be a leader.
4. Commits to the program, sets goals, accept challenges.
5. Performance (from 3500-6000 meters on average per session
1. Train smart with intensity. Master stroke techniques.
2. Achieving South Texas and above Championship qualifying times
3. Strive to qualify for Regional, National and International venues.
4. Encourage and help your teammates.
5. Prepare for College/University swimming.