SAFETY TRAINING FOR SWIM COACHES (STSC)
The STSC requirement consists of two components: (A) an online course and test, and (B) an in-water skills session. A. All coaches must complete the online course and test. B. There are three options for completing the in-water skills session. Find the option that works best for you and then scroll down for additional information about that option:
- Option 1: Print the generic STSC In-Water Skills Checklist (available below) and review the skills with an instructor certified by one of the organizations on the checklist;
- Option 2: Maintain a valid lifeguard certification from an approved agency (list of approved agencies is below)
- Option 3: Take the full in-water skills session from an American Red Cross instructor.
For coaches WITHOUT Lifeguarding Certification and have access to an American Red Cross Instructor
- If you have a current Safety Training for Swim Coaches certificate, you are eligible for a review course. If you do not have a current STSC certificate, you must take the full course.
- Complete the STSC Online Content Only course; save/print the certificate. After completing the online course, register for a Safety Training for Swim Coaches In-Water Skills Session that is scheduled through a Red Cross participating aquatics facility.
- If you cannot find a course, contact a Safety Training for Swim Coaches, Lifeguarding or Water Safety instructor at a Red Cross participating facility to get a course scheduled.
- You will receive a Safety Training for Swim Coaches In-Water Skills Session certificate when you complete the session. Submit the online and in-water certificates to your LSC registrar.
For coaches WITH eligible Lifeguarding Certification
- Check your expiration date on your USA Swimming membership card or Deck Pass.
- Be sure that your Lifeguarding Certification is current, if it has expired or expires soon, renew it now.
- Complete the Safety Training for Swim Coaches Online Content Only course option. You can enroll in this online-only course at www.redcross.org/takeaclass. On the first screen, select Swimming & Water Safety. On the next screen, scroll down and select Safety Training for Swim Coaches. Click on Find a Class. Safety Training for Swim Coaches Online Content Only will appear on the next screen. Click on Take This Class.
- Present a valid, eligible Lifeguarding certificate and Safety Training for Swim Coaches Online Content Only certificate to your LSC.
For coaches who do NOT have a Lifeguard Certification and do NOT have access to an American Red Cross Instructor
Coaches who are unable to find an ARC instructor to conduct the skills session can now contact a certified lifeguard instructor from another agency and present the STSC In-Water Skills Checklist to that instructor. The instructor must be certified by one of the agencies listed on the checklist.
- Complete the STSC Online Content Only course option. Enroll in this course at www.redcross.org/takeaclass.
- (Select a Class–Swimming & Water Safety. On the next screen scroll down and select Safety Training for Swim Coaches. Click on Find a Class. Safety Training for Swim Coaches Online Content Only will appear on the next screen. Click on Take This Class. Print/save the Online Content Only certificate (not the certificate of the test score).
- Find a certified lifeguard instructor from one of the organizations listed on the STSC In-Water Skills Checklist and arrange a time to meet the instructor at a pool. Take a copy of the ARC STSC Online Content Only certificate and the STSC In-Water Skills Checklist with you. Review and demonstrate the skills on the checklist with the instructor; have the instructor sign the checklist. You need to sign it as well.
- After completing the skills session, send the ARC STSC Online Content Only certificate and the STSC In Water Skills Checklist to your LSC registrar. Your STSC credential will be valid for two years.