I am glad to hear you are interested in becoming a new coach for KY Swimming.
In addition to registering as a USAS non-athlete, you must complete 5 items before becoming a USA Swimming certified coach. for more information click here
CPR - list of acceptable courses (Word)
Safety Training for Coaches – 2 parts list of acceptable courses (pdf)
Athlete Protection Training course
Foundations of Coaching 101
____ USAS non-athlete membership: Click Here for form. Please complete and mail along with current membership fee and safety credentials to the address below.
FOR APT, BGC AND FOC 101, YOU MUST CREATE AN ACCOUNT ON THE USA SWIMMING WEBSITE AND ACCESS THESE COURSES FROM THERE. I HAVE PROVIDED LINKS BELOW.
___ CPR - Click here for approved courses and more detailed instructions
___ Safety Training for Swim Coaches
Take the American Red Cross STSC Online Content Only course, then find an American Red Cross instructor to complete the in-water session and get a second certificate from the ARC for the in-water component only.
Go directly to www.redcross.org/take-a-class
1. Ignore class location
2. Select COACHES TRAINING from drop down menu for #2
3. Click Red button for #3, Choose SAFETY TRAINING FOR SWIM COACHES ONLINE COURSE
4. Please forward certificate link to the KYLSC office.
Water Skills Test: Click here for check list (pdf). This new ARC in-water certificate will have the following printed on it: Safety Training for Swim Coaches In-Water Skills Session.
You will ALWAYS get two different certificates.
The ARC STSC Online Content Only certificate must be presented with one of the following:
1. An acceptable lifeguard certificate
2. The generic STSC in-water skills checklist (can be signed by lifeguard instructors from several other accepted agencies)
3. The new ARC STSC In-Water Skills Session certificate (this certificate may include Adult & Pediatric CPR/AED, which is also acceptable for our CPR requirement)
The American Red Cross has eliminated the dual process for the full STSC course – which was finding an ARC instructor, waiting for the instructor to set up the course and send a special link to the coach before the coach could take the online component of the course, which resulted in a STSC Progress Report cert being issued that many of you have received in the past. Those steps have been eliminated completely.
___ APT - Athlete Protection Training course: Click here for link to USA Swimming APT course
It is a little hard to find on the USA Swimming website.
If the link provided doesn’t work, see access instructions below.
1. Hover your mouse over MEMBER RESOURCES
2. Choose SAFE SPORT (under FOR EVERYONE on the left side of drop down menu)
- On the right side of the screen you will see the following.
- Choose Training and Education
- Screening and Selection
- Training and Education
- Recognizing, Responding and Reporting
- Club Toolkit
- Safe Sport Main
- Scroll to the middle of the page
- Click on the long button that says, “Mandatory Athlete Protection Training for coaches/non-athlete members”
___ BGC- USA Swimming online Background Check Click here for USAS BGC link
___ FOC 101 - Foundations of Coaching 101 Click here for USAS FOC 101 link
- Hover your mouse over Member Resources and click on Becoming a Coach.
- Scroll down and stop at the Foundations of Coaching section and select the blue toggle, LEARN MORE
- Scroll down and select, CHOOSE A COURSE.
- Answer the questions and follow the instructions.
$15.00 - Foundations 101 is a 2 hour introductory coaching course required of all new USA Swimming member coaches. The course contains four lessons including the roles and responsibilities of a coach, effective communication, growth and development, basic stroke technique and swim practice design. This multi-media course is presented entirely online and includes a required test.
***Foundations 201 and Coaching Rules and Regulations is the second required courses in the USA Swimming coaches’ education requirement. These must be completed by the beginning of your second year membership renewal.
Procedures to be used for obtaining ASCA Level Two and ASCA Level Three Course materials
Coaches needing the ASCA Level Two or ASCA Level Three tests must purchase the courses from ASCA. The cost is $45.
You will need to purchase the Level 2 and Level 3 online format
Call place your order over the phone: 1-800-356-2722 / (954) 563-4930
Place an order through the ASCA online store
Click here for the Level 2 online course
Click here for the Level 3 online course
When submitting the test(s) for grading, a coach must inform ASCA that they are taking the test to meet the USA New Club Membership requirement.
- Upon successful completion of the test, ASCA will mail a letter of completion to the coach.
- The ASCA office will keep the test in a physical file at the ASCA office and will maintain the information in the ASCA database.
- Existing ASCA Level Two or Three coaches need only to copy their current membership card to the local LSC registration chair.
I will be glad to help in any way that I can
PO Box 630
Versailles, KY 40383